IM Webcam

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G99, Oct 24, 2006.

1. G99 macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    I think this question has been asked before, but I believe it is not possible to use a webcam with Mac messenger?
    However, I would like to know of any MSN IM clients that have this capability.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I don't use MSN

but there's something called "mercury" that you need,

Someone else should know more about it

or do a search in these forums
  3. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    I've tried Mercury Messenger, but it doesn't seem to detect my iSight. I've found another IM client, aMSN. It does detect my iSight, and I guess the interface is alright. But, the video quality is not too good, so I was wondering if it is possible to fix this problem in any way...
    Thank you for your help.
  4. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    I can't seem to find any webcam capabilities in adium though...
  5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

and you won't

this is why I don't use Adium
  6. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    Are there any other IM clients apart from Mercury and aMSN that support webcam?
    Mercury can't detect mine, and aMSN can, but my friends tell me they can't see my webcam data.
  7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Aug 25, 2006
    Port Pirie, South Australia
    Mine too. It's blocked by my router even though I've forwarded ports. But it's still one step up on the Mac BU over at Microsoft
  8. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    Is it possible for you to see the other recipient's webcam data? I can see that, but they can't see mine. Could my firewall possibly be blocking this?
    EDIT: I found these instructions on the aMSN FAQ site:

You are firewalled or behind a router

If you are unable to view a webcam in aMSN after a contact has send you an invite, or after you have issued the command to receive/send webcam, and you are behind a router, you may need to follow these steps:

If you receive: IP-Restrict-NAT and you receive false in webcam wizard, that means your connection is firewalled. (does not send the IP)

If this is the case, you will need to open some ports for the webcam to use because they are currently blocked.

To do this, open your router web-based configuration (check router manual for details on this). Once you have the web-based configuration open, browse for a setting called "port forwarding" or "port range forwarding" or something similar to that. (This might be found under the advanced features for your router).

Now that you have the port forwarding page open, you will want to set the port forwarding range so that aMSN will be able to accept and send the webcam stream.
    Here's an example of how you will set up your port forwarding:

Application: aMSN
    Start: 6890
    End: 6900
    Protocol: Both(TCP & UDP)
    Enabled: X (Yes/True)

Note: is the IP of your machine that you are trying to send / receive webcam

If you have a web server open on your port 80, you can try to disable it too, sometimes it helps.

General port instructions for Apple Airport Base Station or Airport Express (of course, use ports 6891 to 6900 in the configurations)

Does anyone know how to allow aMSN to access ports 6890 to 6900 (the instructions in black)?

Any help would be appreciated.
  9. fatties macrumors regular

May 21, 2006
    i am sending and not recieving on amsn either. and the instructions don't work!

Curses on Microsoft for not giving us webcam support!
  10. dwishbone macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    On the Moon
    wasnt ohphone compatible with MSN messenger's video conferencing at one point?

from macupdate
    "ohphoneX is a Cocoa wrapper for ohphone. ohphone, part of OpenH323 project, is a command line program that does H.323 conferencing. The binary version of ohphoneX also comes with a pre-compiled ohphone. You don't need to install PWLib and OpenH323 before using this application. ohphoneX is targeted as a simple Mac-to-Mac and Mac-to-Phone voice only communication tool, some features will not be provided, but will be included in another application. It provides Mac-to-Mac, Mac-to-PC (NetMeeting and GnomeMeeting compatible) audio communication, as well as Mac-to-Phone through Internet telephony providers that allow you access their H.323 call gateway."

MSN used to use netmeeting (which ohphone supports) for that stuff i thought. maybe it still does...just hides it better. dunno. i dont keep up with msn because its crap.
    why not just have your PeeCee friends get Skype? its free and has really good quality video/audio...but is a bit of a cpu hog. they could also get AIM for AIM to iChat, but overall to me Skype is much easier for cross platform video conferencing.
  11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm using Mercury Messenger with iSight, though I don't have a separate router to configure, I've made sure that the Mac OS X firewall is configured to allow MSN Messenger traffic. If you haven't done this, you go to System Preferences->Sharing->Firewall->New... and add the predefined MSN Messenger.
  12. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2006
    Skype does video.
    It doesn't use the MSN protocol though.
    I prefer Skype's video over MSN's, it's (to me) a higher quality.