I'm writing a pc vs. Mac paper.....tips?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Nov 24, 2003.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Hey everyone.

I've been asked by my English professor to write a paper outlining the plus's and -'s of owning a Mac versus a pc. She's a fellow Mac head, as I am, so this essay will obviously be pro-Mac.

I'd really like some suggestions/tips/stories to use in my paper. Don't worry, you'll be cited in my bibliography- you'll get credit for your words.

In other words, why do you like your Mac? Why is it better/worse than a pc? Do you have any interesting stories behind switching to/getting your first Mac?

Thanks! :D
  2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well if you are looking for a PC users perspective as well...........
  3. Java macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2003
    Marin County (where else?)
    one word—Colorsync

Dude. It's all about colorsync. When I'm outsourcing my print jobs to various printers, having the ability to accurately color correct is vital. I could never do it on the PeeCee.

If you have ever been to a printing press, most places are using Macs to do color correction for press.

Just my $.02 for your paper.
  4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    I've already emailed a pc friend of mine who hates Mac's, I figure I'll get a good counter opinion from him.

How about a little more on the usability of Mac's.....ColorSync is great, I know, but this is an English paper, to be read by a 65 year old professor who knows little about computers in general. Keep the technical stuff coming too, info like Java's love of ColorSync is very helpful too. Just remember that my prof is not going to give a rat's behind about ColorSync.;)
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    interface and usability comparisons:

the main reason i like my mac is because of iApps, especially iPhoto.
  6. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    Re: I'm writing a pc vs. Mac paper.....tips?

I think you should be a little careful there... Obviously, it will be pro-mac, but make the favouritism reasonably subtle. If I were you I would seriously research the PC side of things and would try to provide the best posible argument. It depends on what kind of person you prof. is, but do you think she would be more interested in a paper that clearly states that Mac is the 'better' system, or a paper that makes her wonder what the PC may have to offer her, and if she made the right decision to swith to Mac in the first place (assuming she once was a PC user)?
  7. Harry K. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    I wrote an English III formal research paper on this very same subject. I found www.macvspc.info very helpful.
  8. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I like my Mac because it works as a system, I mean, everything is intergrated to work in peace with each other without any conflict. The CD rom works fine, the superdrives works with every application, the Printers too and every other peripheral.

Now, many PC users say there are not as meny peripherals or softwares for Mac, wht I see is that in the field Mac and PC users use 99% of the same softwares. I mean, the softwares that really works are there for Mac too. The rest is just garbage that no one in the PC side uses any way.

The compatibility with the hardware is a issue we do not know in the Mac platform but in the PC side is a pain, because every hardware manofacturer for the PC side develop their hardware with drivers for certain OS, calle it Windows 90, NT, millenium, etc.

For exaple, I got a USB flash card reader that should work for Mac and PC. In my Mac work just fine. I gave the unit to my brother who owns a PC. The driver didn't work, he had to download it and then the new version is not compatible with his Operative System!!! So, he can not use a hardware that was developed for PCs.

There are not all the solutions in the Mac side, but there are many problems in the PC side. A PC computer is a specialized set up most of the time. A Mac is more versatile and you get less conflicts going from gaming to desktop publishing to digital audio. Try to do those 3 things in a single PC.

By the way, in the Mac side, the same people that creates the hardware create the operative system. In the PC side there is not such thing, so, the users will have to deal with too many variables at the moment of getting their system.

Can you imagine a husband with 300 wifes and 30000 children? how efficient that family is gonna be?

In order to create a reliable system you have to handle the less variables as posible. That makes it easier for the Mac developer and user.

That is it.
  9. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts

A full-featured, exhaustively researched, seemingly objective survey of the topic.

Is it dispositive? Probably not, but it has lots of good pro-mac information.
  10. burgerdog macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2003
    Writing a paper like this is pretty dodgy, because most mac vs pc "discussions" I have seen are based on unrelated factors.

for example, the reason people say they like Macs is generally the ease of use. PC people say they like hardware customizability.

I'd do comparisons like OS to OS (i.e. windows XPsp1 to OSX 10.3 to Red Hat 9), App to app (availability, usability, etc), and hardware costs, usefullness of upgrades, etc.

all variations are better for some things than the others are. Make sure to look for that. A lot of Mac Fans are just as blind as the Mac haters, and that does no one any good.
  11. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    Here's my tips.

First, leave any fanaticism out of it. Concentrate on the pros and cons of both platforms (or are you comparing Mac OS to Windows XP?). I wouldn't mind it being slightly pro-Mac or pro-PC but try to stay in the center. I kinda understand what you're goign through with this research paper. I recently did a research paper on gasoline engines vs diesel engines (I'm a diesel fan). ;)
  12. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

macs are better because os is more stable than windows and that is the best part of being a mac user

they have a better appearance in industrial design and are more rugged and this is better for kids and schools

macs a better for graphics

the mac is worse because of cost...but the cost of macs are coming down faster than the cost of PCs and the gap is closing

the mac is worse because software selection in titles is smaller and often if macs have a third party compatible software that the PC does, the mac version somehow costs more...big gripe

macs are worse, in general, when it comes to support because mac repair shops are harder to come by, mac techs are harder to come by, and the customer support of apple inc is very hit or miss and not anything like dell...i used to be a dell, compaq, and apple warranty tech at the same time

i hope this helps

13. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Thank you all very, very much! Keep the comments coming, maybe I'll post the paper on my website once it's finished and all edited up.

I plan on keeping the paper very center-oriented, in that I will lean to the pro-Mac side of things, but I won't be a mindless fanatic, don't worry. My professor has told me that she is going to show my paper to several other fellow professors in her department. Talk about pressure, geez!

14. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    My friend Erin (a pc lover and Mac hater) wrote me this email, at my request, on why he hates Macintosh. I thought I would post it, for your amusment. Don't worry, I sent him a reply refuting a few of his statements. I have to agree on the software shortage one though.....oh well.

15. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2002
    Erin's Response...

Your paper should be Erin's response. That would be enough to convince most users to stay as far away from PCs as possible.
  16. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    your friend's response is a pretty typical one. you can easily find evidence for disputing those claims as well as supporting them. it's more like a personal bias/preference than "logic" (implying some kind of hard truth), if you ask me...
  17. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    This line is great.

But there are better and more convincing ways to say what he tryed to yell. Good luck with the paper and remember to stick to the facts, all data you use can't be from apple's web site because it is biased as is the infomation from AMD, intel, Dell, etc... Aquire your infomation from benchmark sites like anandtech, tomshardware, tweaktown or Magazines/computing journels.
  18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I was just wondering how Erin knows what it says in the manual about opening the Mac or voiding the warranty. If he's so against dealing with them, he's probably never seen the manual. ;)

Besides, my PowerMacs have nice latches on the side and I can open them any time I want and no one complains at all.

As far as the quality of hardware or software, he's right. The hardware and software generally aren't equal--they're almost always better on Macintosh. As far as quantity, he's right--there's not nearly as much junk on Macintosh. I think that Microsoft adds the number of viruses (virii!) into their total number of applications for Windows to make it look much better. Including MS Office macro viruses, there are 60,000+ on DOS/Windows vs. 5,000+ on Macintosh. Only 42 are native viruses and do not run natively on Mac OS X.

I'm just wondering which PCs look so great, exceeding Apple's designs. I like the latest HP machines with the black lacquer look, but that's about it.

I'm not sure more people want this technology or they're just willing to accept it. There are so many people asleep at the wheel. If you woke them, would they realise what they were actually doing? (Take that from someone who was working as a technical support programmer.)
  19. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    erin's letter

1. PCs r more upgradable by a commoner... when i showed my roommate(who has a centrino laptop) how easy it was to upgrade ram on my ibook...he was really surprised..although he has done all sorts of things with his desktop..he never dared to touch his centrino...as it would VOID his warranty.

2. Macs never had the quality...blah blah...
    its funny coz i thought that if there was only one thing mac had...it was quality...look at panther...the stability...the visual effects,,,it really gets people noticing...

3. PCs exceed macs becoz more people use them...this is as false as it gets...any computer is good enough for evryday tasks...and people dont care...they take what is more available...but majority of the proffesionals..(especially in creative area) use macs..
    winnows machines r better lookin!!! yah right!!! i m saddam hussein....king of the world!!!

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Re: erin's letter

First off if that's a G3 ibook I'm suprised you haven't had the logic board replaced several times.

Yes look at Panther and all it's many problems because it was RUSHED OUT THE DOOR,
  21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Re: erin's letter

Okay it's down to this: I use Macs because that's what I use. Perhaps there is no real "versus"; it might be a concoction of fanatics. PC users as an installed total reached critical mass a long time ago, so the "meme" itself is self-replicating, like a cancer. I grew tired quickly of the whole battle, and decided several years ago to tell PC-fanatic Mac bashers to leave me the hell alone.
    Maybe THAT could be your paper?
    By the way, PC's REALLY suck, and not just a little... but one has every right to waste their life away. :)
  22. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Re: Re: erin's letter

Yes:confused: PC's suck:rolleyes: so in your opinion 95% of the computing world is wasting their life away, But you and the minority of Apple users have seen the light in using Moto's dated G4, and now IBM's 2.0GHz saving grace which when in Dual configuration only marginally, in some tasks beats a 3.0GHz P4, even though the P4EE 3.2GHz is now on the market, and hasn't even been tested against the Athlon 64 FX.

Yes you have seen the light my friend in spending over $3000AUD on a computer when everybody else can buy a computer with better preformance for under half that.

Ignorance is bliss and you have your head so close to Steves knob that nothing else matters.

As you said it's a self replcating cancer.

While this is totally off topic and will probabley get me banned(Rower feel free to deleate this post) for a while, it's just to show that fanatical uninformed rants can be made from both sides of the fence. This post in no way reflects my opinion of the current line up of computer from apple mac, I don't even think Leet1 would post something this daming on this site.

I do hope that the starter of this thread makes a convincing, balanced and coherient argument as to why apple macs are a more economical computing choice (because that's what we're reall talking about) for the world today, and further more hope that he posts it here for all to see.
  23. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Be objective. Do whatever you can to avoid bias and opinion. Convey understanding that each side represents a tool, that is it didn't have a use, wouldn't exist.

Your professor is looking for a level-headed, informative, and analytical piece, not religion.
  24. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    The best way to go about it is to select a varity of price brackets
    maybe 4 or five and do into detailed descussion about the pros and cons of each machine within that price bracket. Also remember to include both AMD (both XP and 64) and Intel bassed machines.

Comments such as windows is ustable and slow, or Microsoft is a big evil corperation only intrested in world domination are BIG no no's. As patrick0brien said you have to be totally objective and convay the findings in an unbiased manner.

You don't even have to come to a conclusion as to which is better since that is too general. At the end of your report (that's what's it's going to end up not an essay) just say in the price bracket $xxxx-$xxxx these are the benifits of the apple mac and these are the drawbacks, as well as these are the benifits of a x86 platform and these are the drawbacks. And in my opinion platform x is more suited to this task while platform y is more suited to that taks and they preform equally in tasks xyz.

You may or maynot be suprised/shocked at the answers.
  25. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia

I can tell you why I still and will continue to use a x86 processor:

1: They offer better preformace per dollar than Moto's/IBM's PowerPC's, and better highend preformance (A Dual AMD Opteron 246 (2.0GHz) will easily beat a Dual 2.0GHz G5***see bottom)
    2: Custimisation
    3: competition in the market leads to a varity of products compeating for market percentage hance only the strong survive.
    4: Hence many 3rd Party Graphics cards and countless motherboard options.
    5: Upgrading processors is cheap and simple (pins not slots)
    6: No apple care
    7: Hence better after sales service (new for broken, very few questions asked)
    8: Cash works wonders:D
    9: Expandablity, (PCI cards, 5 1/2" drives, 3 1/4" drives, HDD's, etc)
    10: Bootlegged software is almost too easy to come by
    11: I can and have built my own system how I see fit with the parts I want, not with wath a big company says I shold have for the money I can cough up.
    12: Larger software base in A/V, gaming, Office, etc...
    13: Winamp

I'll leave it there

Why I One day might buy a mac:

1: OS-X Jag is great and Panther is almost there.
    2: The whole i.... series=easy to use
    3: Final cut Pro plus other mac only A/V editing programs.
    4: All in one (not for me but it is for some)
    5: Easy to set up.

Sorry that's all, can anyone add to the list.

*** this is bassed on the fact that a P4 3.0GHz offers almost the preformance of the Dual G5 and in some cases better and the Athlon 64 FX is faster than the P43.2 (nonEE) in all tasks. Hence a Dual Opteron with onboard memory controler will easily beat a Dual G5 2.0GHz. Also the Opteron 248 has now been released @2.2GHz.