imac 17" or emac combo drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wink, Jul 18, 2002.

1. wink macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey folks. New guy here about to give up on his 3 1/2 year old Dell and take the plunge into buying a mac.

I do digital video editing as a hobby (I'm an actor by day) and am looking at getting either the iMac 17" (looks soooo sweet) or the emac combo drive (better value by a few hundred bucks).

Any suggestions on what I should get?

my sites....
  2. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    well welcome to MR...... I think you should get the imac if you are gonna do some video editing , bigger screen more HD space and its just to cool to say no to....

but with the emac you could put a gig of ram in it, but I would go with the imac

good luck
  3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    The iMac by all means. The "17 screen's high resolution and extended HD is perfect for video editing.
  4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    Re: imac 17" or emac combo drive?

get the 17" imac since it has 80 gigs of storage (quite a bit of storage), a 17" LCD monitor, geforce4 graphix
    but if you dont have the money for a 17" imac, get the high end 17" emac (or one of the g4 imacs that are 15" screen) and remember to put 1 gig of ram ;)
  5. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas

I was going to buy an eMac to replace my aging 8500. The screen, unfortunately, has a flicker at 1280 x 960(?). So, I may hold off on that till the screen refresh is improved. Hopefully, there will be some new ones in time for Christmas.
  6. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    When you're configuring your machine, if you go with one of the iMacs, be sure to spend the extra money to get 512 MB RAM on 1 DIMM. Then you can buy the other 512 somewhere else for about one-third of Apple's price, pop it in yourself, and you're off! Good luck!
  7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Buy NOTHING!

Its not the right time to buy any MAC.

Except maybe a Ti 800 that is the only area that I can see as viable.

APPLE is going to have to go through a huge change in hardware very soon.
    ANYthing that you buy now, I think that you will regret it.

I have an iMac and it is NOT capable of doing very much at all.
    I use it to DOWNLOAD, thats about it. Its a sad unit with a sad bus among other things!

Save your cash and get something that will last for a few years.
    The iMac is obselete aready, i know I have one!

Believe me!
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    a three and a half year old dell is from way back in the pentium pro/pentium 2 days

either mac will be a breath of fresh air

but expect some new hardware changes from apple so get a lot of opinions before buying

maybe even something extreme before mwsf but it is too hard to tell right now
  9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Wait until 10.2 ships and then get either the 17" iMac, or a G4 tower. Even the low end tower has features that you might like better. One of them is the fact that you can get to all three RAM slots (1.5GB max at this point). Another would be the way you can [easily] change/upgrade the video card later if you want to. With room for up to four hard drives, which you really might need to use for video projects, it's something to consider. You can also attach any monitor you want to the tower. If the display on the tower goes, you just go out and get a replacement that day.

Which ever system you do get, DO get the AppleCare protection plan. DON'T get any kind of non-Apple warranty plan (like what incompusa sells people).

IF the 17" iMac had L3 cache on it, I would say got for it. Since it doesn't, you really should look at the towers. IF you are on a tight budget, you will have to get the one you can afford. You also really should consider the mid-range tower. With the 2MB L3 cache it screams. It is more then just the 133MHz speed difference between the iMac and that tower. The L3 cache makes a HUGE difference when it comes to system performance.