iMac 17' owners

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by icetraxxg5, Apr 4, 2003.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

After having my 1ghz 17" (oops, thats inches, not feet) iMac for 3 weeks I have had 3 complete freezes... OS 9 Style, where it tells me I have to hold down the power button to shut it down. Now the thing is that I just took my iMac off my desk to clean it and I noticed on the back of the base of the iMac if you look real close, it looks like the paint on the inside of the plastic is starting to bubble :eek:

Does anyone else with a similar iMac have this problem with the bubbling? Are these early overheating symptoms?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. irobot75 macrumors newbie

I have the same iMac for about the same time. I haven't experienced any freeze ups at all. I run alot of major apps at once (Photoshop iMovie idvd ) I'll keep a look out for the paint bubbling problem.

I.

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i dont have to be a genius to know there is a problem. My local apple center has had a 17" iMac running 8hrs/day 7days/week that is always running either DVDs, or when it is being demo-ed to a customer, photoshop etc. They never have crashes (except when i play on it - i make em happen on purpose :D (the tech guy is a prick :mad: )) and i can tell you there is NO paint problem.

It sounds like your heatsink or fan may be faulty, not brooken, just not working fully properly. Also check to see if the airflow from bottom to top is all clear. The iMac uses convection to help cool it as well as the fan. You see those holes cut around the base and at the top - guess what goes through there.

Also, if you want to try something else before running to your store, put a vacuum at the top holes while the mac is running at turn the vacuum on. This should not only increase the airflow inside the mac but also clean out any dust that is lurking in there.

Hope it helps. From the owner of a very noisy pMac MDD DP-1Ghz

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've had my 17" iMac for about a month now, and there's nothing wrong with the paint on the back either. I also run this thing 24/7, run graphics programs constantly, folding, iTunes, etc, all the time and never get any freezes.

It's sounding like u may want to get yours checked out by Apple perhaps? Have u checked Apple's discussion boards for similar problems with others?

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well its under apple care. take it to a reseller and have them check it out, order the part and fix it. if its a faulty, wont cost you a thing.

iJon

6. CaVoLo macrumors member

Re: iMac 17' owners

i believe you mean 17" not 17 feet...that would be a huge imac...lol