iMac(17") problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mbustamante, Nov 30, 2003.

1. mbustamante macrumors newbie

my iMac was running very slowly on panther. I did the disk utility on it, and it didn't help me much. I called Applecare and they told me to do the software restore thing after running some tests. So, I did and it seamed faster. I installed panther about a week later and everything was fine for the first 3 days or slow, and now I have the same problem. Can anyone reccomed anything to do before I have to call applecare again about this? Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I have a 17" imac also, and i just ordered Panther Friday, I hope I dont have those types of problems.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm with you - my nice new iMac will be here in a week and I sure don't hope I have any problems! I'm a switcher, and this will be my first Mac experience, so let's hope it 's not a bad one or else I might have to go back to the PC world, where I have actually not had any troubles whatsoever (guess I'm one of the lucky ones!)

Sorry I can't help you out on this, but I think this is pretty unacceptable, so I would phone AppleCare care again, indicate that what you were instructed to do did not work, so as a result something else must be the problem. I wouldn't rest until things are resolved - for the kind of money you spent, you deserve a working machine!

4. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I also have a iMac 17" FP and I'm running Panther on it and it actually seems faster than Jaguar. I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had one problem yet. I can't imagine what you're problem can be. The only things that come to mind are

1) Zapping the P-Ram
    2) DeFragmenting the Drive
    3) Do you have enough RAM? I personally have a 1Gig and it makes a world of difference.

4) If all else fails(cover your ears)...ReFormat your drive and do a fresh install.

There might be some TERMINAL commands that might help out but I'm not too familar with them.

Hope this helps. :)

~e

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I agree with eclipse525, reformat your hard drive. It's pretty straighforward and simple, just make sure you backup your files. Most times it takes care of seemingly unsolvable problems.

6. dclark73 macrumors newbie

I have a 17" iMac and just installed Panther on it a week ago. I think that it is also faster. I agree, wipe out your drive and do a clean install if you haven't done it already.