iMac 17" RUMORS

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MrSolipsist, Aug 5, 2002.

1. MrSolipsist macrumors newbie

I keep hearing Aug 8 as the shipping date, this was from a manager @ an Apple Store in the NYC Metro area. The word is the new iMac 17" will also ship with 10.2 (Jauguar). What have you heard?

2. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I bet it will come with Jaguar, but the general public release will be out on the 24th. Buyers of the iMac get a sneak peak, I guess.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That would be a little strange...

Wouldn't they also need the Jaguar CDs that come in the consumer box?

Somehow I can't see Apple sitting on the new CDs for 3 weeks if they already have them available for the 17" iMac.

It's much easier to include incremental OS upgrades with new machines early than it is to ship something that'll require a new set of CDs.

4. MrSolipsist thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple has done pre-releases with new hardware in the past. Back w/ Mac OS 9 they did it with the 9.1 update & the G4 tower.

5. djniche macrumors regular

I'm waiting for this to be released also. Someone said the 8th - I hope so!
    My girlfriend can't wait for it anymore. the 17 imac and my powerbook will be my main computer until the new line of powermac come along!

Jaguar will for sure be installed and if it doesn't include the cd on the box. They can always be sent to your home from apple. Great demand for the 17"
    which is great for apple!

6. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I also think thursday will the shipping date since when i oredered mine on the 17th, apple was quoting a 2-4 week shipping date and its been about 3 weeks already.

Damn I hope it gets here soon. :(

7. dynamicd macrumors 6502

My friend and I were on the apple's main page with the imac advertisement and noticed that it said it's a DVD-RW which we both thought it was only a DVD-R. The tech specs say DVD-R however. Anybody shed some light on this??

8. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

it is a DVD(-+)RW drive but since iDVD (the only offical apple dvd making software) is only compatible with DVD(-+)R, apple lists the superdrive as only DVD(-+)R.

If u go into toast you can make DVD(-+)RW's, but you cant use them with iDVD

9. Arcady macrumors 6502

The Pioneer drive in Macs is DVD-R and DVD-RW compatible. It is NOT DVD+R or DVD+RW compatible. Those are completely different drives which are not sold by Apple. The + drives write to different media, and have different compatibility with set-top DVD players (read: worse.) They are sold by Sony, HP and others. (Note that Sony has also used Pioneer DVD-RW drives for their desktop computers in the past, because they could not make enough DVD+R/DVD+RW drives at the time.)

The most likely reason that Apple doesn't list DVD-RW compatibility is because they do not sell the media. They want you to buy their DVD-R discs.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget about DVD Studio Pro. :p

DVD-RW isn't as compatible with general consumer DVD players so it makes sense that Apple would only recommend/allow DVD-R discs for use with its DVD authoring apps.

DVD(-+)RW is for data back-up, and that's why Toast supports it.