iMac 20" - G5 Owners (Question for you)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cgratti, Dec 29, 2004.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Have any of you had any problems with the SuperDrive in your iMac's? I have read that they go to crap after 3-4 months. This is a major concern for me, and is somewhat swaying my next purchase of a MAC.

Can you also tell me how long you owned your machine and if you use the drive heavily?

TIA

--Chuck

2. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I havn't heard of any Apple drives going bad...

I have a superdrive in my Rev C powerbook and it is perfect. If for some reason something was to happen, I'm sure Apple will sort it out.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've not heard of Apple drives going bad either.

I've had my PB12" Rev B with SuperDrive for over a year without a hitch and 17" G5 iMac with SuperDrive for about three months without any probs. So I wouldn't worry it, like I said I haven't heard anything about SuperDrives crapping out.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Three comments:
    - with this poll you have a numerator but no denominator. What is your threshold for number of responses? You will have no idea how many people with iMac G5s who have read this post. The number of negative responses can't be put into context unless you know this (1 out of 10? 100? 1000? etc.)
    - the iMac G5 really hasn't been out very long - I wonder how many have actually had their iMac for 3-4 months?
    - if the drive does stop working, it should be covered by warranty. If you are worried about the long term, get AppleCare.

FYI, my G5 iMac 20" works great, no issues with the optical drive - although I have only had it for 2 weeks.

5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

thats ridiculous, do you think apple would put themselves in that position? im not trying to be mean. i just think what you've heard is BS.

6. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

i have a question where have u heard that they go after a few months?

-Neal

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I definitely think the iMac G5 20" should be trouble free longer than a low-end Gateway machine.

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

my girlfriend has had hers since november. all is well

iMac 20"

edit: i just check out where the humming noise was coming from, i thought it might be the mac (the fan) but it was her TV...hence her TV is louder than her mac (its an old TV).

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

My G5 iMac 20" is finnicky about certain CDs. I am reloading all of my CDs and for some reason there are some it just won't recognize. When I put the same CDs into my G3 iMac they work just fine.

Apart from that I have not had any problems.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I ordered one the day they announced them. No trouble with the system.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well I haven't had mine for 3-4 months yet, but so far, so good.

12. dbauer macrumors member

No Problems

I've had my G5 20" since they came out and I have burned about 100 DVD's with no issues. I would like to know where you heard they go bad. Sometimes I hear things from salespeople at stores or vendors from work that are completely unfounded and are only told to sway someone toward a particular manufacturer that they sell. It can be hard sometimes to find out the truth. My rule of thumb is that if Apple makes it, its good. Of the 10 systems that I've had over the years, I've never experienced a hardware failure. I'm sure it happens; Apple doesn't make all the hardware, but for some reason, it doesn't happen as often as I have seen with Dell and IBM. The company I work for purchased 3000 IBM laptops this past year and we had a rash of hard drives that went bad, almost 800, but its not IBM's fault, the drives were made by Toshiba. My point is that hardware failures can happen to anyone; to say that the entire line of iMac 20" DVD drives are crap after 3-4 months doesn't make sense. Apple would rectify any situation were a rash of drives went bad and ensure the next batch of drives did not have the same problem. They done the same in the past with PowerBook batteries and iBook system boards (although they were a little late on the iBook).

13. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I heard this on another MAC forum, they had a whole thread dedicated to this. I read complaint after complaint about the superdrives going south, most between 3 and 4 months. I will definately get the applecare warrenty, but I dont want to lose my machine for weeks while its getting repaired.

Just asking around to see if anyone else had a similiar problem or if it might have been a bad batch of drives that were put into imacs.

14. Chubypig macrumors 6502

I have had mine for 3 months, and no problems whatsoever. I think that you should be fine. Oh and quick piece of advice: it's Mac not MAC, they stand for different things and some people might flame you. :)

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im glad you didnt go into your story :)

16. greenleaf macrumors member

Was it by chance MacOSrumors.com?...i wouldnt be surprised :rolleyes:

17. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Thanks for the quick IT lesson, but I know what they both stand for. I will remember that in the future.

18. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

If I go with the Imac, is the RAM the same as PC ram? The 20" Imac uses DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200), is it all standard?

Question #2, What brand names are the best in terms of memory? Crucial, Kingston, Viking?

TIA

--chuck

19. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

yeah Macs use the same Pc3200 as a PC.

Brands its more of a preferance, i've used Crucial, and Viking without any problems but Kingston i personally don't like, i had problem with bad ram last year, but thats just my experiance.

-Neal

20. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I myself have never seen a SuperDrive turn into crap. :)