iMac 20" G5.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maxigalaxy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. maxigalaxy macrumors member

maxigalaxy

I want to buy a new Mac because after "switching" almost 2 years ago, i want to feel that emotion again :) :) :)
    I proudly own a 12" powerbook 867 with max ram and it has been my essential companion for the last couple of years, from work to pleasure.
    I am not of those who wait for Intel to buy a new Mac ( unless you have good reason to prove me wrong.... :) ), so being in love with the latest iMac update, I was considering buying one.
    What are you advice on this. Would you wait? Is the PM dual 2.0 much much faster ( I love to make music and video ) than the iMac? Or anything else that could support my intention or make it change?
    If your response is GOOD, next week I'll be at the Fashion Island in Newport Beach holding my new toy!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Thanks! :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A 20 inch iMac will please you greatly! Grab one! :)

3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I would definitely buy one now. They were just updated with some very good specs (good enough to eliminate the single 1.8 G5 PowerMac). Plus why wait a year for a Rev A Intel iMac? I am just waiting for the PB update this late summer/early fall to finally make the switch. I have been using the same 450MHz Dell XPS T450 w/Windows 98SE for 6 years this August. All I do is mainly type papers, surf the net, play music, watch online videos, and every now and then some lite Photoshop Elements projects.

The Powerbook should breeze though these with no problems.

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

iMacs on the Beach

Whelp - as long as you're not planning on using your new iMac on the beach. I mean, they're portable, but not *that* portable. ;)

Do it. The iMac G5 is a beautiful piece of machinery, and you just got some nice updates. You'll be a happy, happy camper!

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Yeah, don't wait, go ahead and pick one up. A new Mac is a real rush!!! :D

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I would buy one now, those new iMacs are sweet. I hope they don't change the design much when the intel's come out.

7. maxigalaxy thread starter macrumors member

maxigalaxy

Thank you guys...just can't wait!!!!wawaweewa!!!!
    Very cool the beach thing.... :D :D :D that could be the real attraction in Huntington :D :D :D
    How much RAM would you get?

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get at least 1 GB and you will be happy :)

9. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I just got a 20" iMac 2ghz. I replaced my powermac G4 and 20" ADC monitor. I really like the imac. The display is noticeably better than the ADC monitor. its plenty fast and is very stable. I think it might be my best mac yet

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm confused by your comment of using the iMac on the beach. The problem of the sand and no electricity. I would be a little concerned about taking even a PowerBook to the beach.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine a picture of someone using an iMac G5 on the beach hooked up to a generator?!

12. maxigalaxy thread starter macrumors member

maxigalaxy

alright alright...that was a joke!!! :)
    I was just replying to Jsalzer ...
    But still...how cool taht would be!!!

Ps
    Is the "Rosetta" thing made to run Intel applications on PPC or the other way round?

13. Calihafan macrumors member

Other way round...

... screwing PPC users in the process. Hey, I'm not bitter! I just bought a PPC Mac. But still...

14. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

iMac

Got myself the 20" iMac a few weeks ago. IT ROCKS! :D Get the extended Applecare.

I had a Dead on Arrival (DOA) and had a replacement a few days later. Crap Superdrive.

A friend on mine bought the 17" Combo a couple of days ago, and his girlfriend have not seen him since. ;)

So get one pronto! and make sure you inform your family, friends etc etc where you are so they won't have to file a missing person's report. :rolleyes: