iMac 20" iSight Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by truz, Jan 5, 2006.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

BLAH I just posted this on the wrong board. I posted this same message on macnn.com. No wonder I had to register again (dummie) :) anyways...

I just wanted to know which brand to go with for Memory Upgrades. I have a iMac g5 coming to me next week and I would like to upgrade the memory from 512mb to about 2.5GB (will be purchasing an extra 2GIG) I see ads on ebay for samsung memory for like $220 for 2gigs. What is the best kind of memory for imacs or what comes standard with the system (brand wise).

Samsung good memory, whats the best memory, where to buy and what comes stock with imacs. Thanks and sorry for the questions

Here is the link to two different auctions on ebay for samsung memory. Whats the difference?

1.http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-PC2-4200-RAM-NEW-APPLE-iMAC-G5-Memory-1-9-2-1GHz_W0QQitemZ5847031612QQcategoryZ80037QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5806256095&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, the first auction is for DDR2 memory, the kind the new iMac takes, the second is for regular DDR memory, the kind the old Powermacs used to take. I would recommend going to crucial.com and looking up exactly what you need there, they make it pretty easy, and guarantee that your RAM will work with your Mac.

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Only bad thing is crucial.com is more then twice the price ($899 for 2gigs) when I can get 2 gigs of samsung for $325. Has anyone got memory from ebay or got samsung memory like the one listed above? (1. First Link above.)

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, you can always try newegg.com, they have dirt cheap prices, but there's no guarantee that it'll work with your system. Then again, you can always RMA it if it doesn't.

Edit: Hey! That was post 500! Woo!

5. TJOLSON19 macrumors newbie

Good RAM

You could always try Ramjet.com or Kingston.com, there's another company from here (Denver) mushkin.com....I used some Kingston RAM in my old 12" PowerBook and had no issues.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'll vote for DataMem too. They are great. Very fair prices and great service. I use nothing else in my Macs.