iMac 20" RAM Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LGRW3919, Sep 7, 2005.

1. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

I've had my iMac for a little over a week and even though my performance has increased substantially from my iBook G3, I want to boost the RAM. would it be worth the extra $50-$100 to get a 1 GB module and put in my iMac, or just to put in another stick of 512 MB? Any performance hit from non-matching RAM?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd go for the 1 Gig. Is there any reason not to?

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Non-matching RAM does not matter in your iMac. (no performance hit)

If you multi-task a lot (running iTunes, Mail, iChat, Safari w/mutiple tabs, Word, lots of widgets, etc.), get a lot of beachballing, or have a lot of pageouts, then you would benefit from more RAM. Personally if i was buying i would go ahead and get the 1gb stick, and buy from either Crucial or Data Memory Systems. I went from 512mb to 1gb (max) on my TiPB and the difference is quite noticeable, especially with the 5400rpm HD.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would recommend that you purchase the 1 GB. Should use the Crucial RAM link above. That can assist you with getting the proper RAM. Should give you a very noticeable increase in performance.

5. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Really?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300082

I bought an OEM 512mb stick on ebay for like $30 to match the 512mb that came with my G5, and noticed a big difference in performance.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I thought matched RAM in an iMac helped performance, although Barefeats apparently disagrees, having run a few tests.

I just got a new iMac 20" and put in 2x1 Gb sticks from Newegg--Patriot RAM. Works perfectly, and is notably faster than the stock 512 that came in the machine.

Best,

Bob

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Get another 512MB. I've got 1GB and with 5 dash widgets, Halo, Safari and iTunes open at the same time, I still have 300MB of free RAM on my iMac.

8. yenko macrumors 6502a

:eek: Apple says:

"Whoa?!
    If that technical stuff sounds scary, don't worry. There's an easy way to make sure they match. Just buy your DIMMs at the same time as a matching pair, like socks." :cool:

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Didnt know that was the case with the iMacs, only thought it was with the PM. I dont see why having 1 512 stick and one 1gb stick would make any difference though. If it does make a difference i apologize for my inaccurate information. Lets see what any iMac users have to say about this...

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. LGRW3919 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the input everyone, i think i will buy the 1 GB module.