imac 20" right now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by believo, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. believo macrumors regular

    believo

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1
    I just purchased the 20" iMac w/ 1 GB RAM from the apple store. Is it smart to buy an imac right now or should I try to cancel my order?

    thanks!
     
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

    pknz

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Location:
    NZ
    #2
    Do you need it right now? Theres never harm in waiting, however I expect they won't be updated until late this year or early next year.
     
  3. believo thread starter macrumors regular

    believo

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #3
    Thanks.. that's all I needed to know. I'll be keeping the order.
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4

    Good choice, I think that you will love your 20" iMac when it arrives. Besides, you can always swap out the Core Duo cpu for a new Core 2 Duo one when they are released. :)
     
  5. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #5
    Honestly, we are so close to August 7th that I would wait. I got the iMac and the MB in the first week of each, but if I were buying now, I would wait to hear what Steve has to say as two of the few things that we do know is that he will have a lot to say about Leopard and about Macs.
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    First, opening the iMac case isn't easy.

    Second, if the new iMac has a Conroe, an owner of a Core Duo can't upgrade to that, only to a Merom.

    Third, I have posted loads of messages asking how to get into my iMac to upgrade to a Merom, and haven't gotten an answer to even one of the posts.* I don't think that it is easy to do without blowing your warranty, though I would LOVE to be corrected here on this.

    I love my 20" iMac, but if Steve announces Conroe or even Merom iMacs in two weeks, you are going to feel silly. Nobody knows what the upgrade cycle is going to be with Intel. The PowerPC chips never made such rapid upgrades to entire lines possible.

    Steve would be foolish to delay these moves.  My money says he won't delay.  Forget what you know.
     
  7. shaolindave macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    #7
    waiting

    i'm totally with you on that one. i've put off buying mine until at least i know what big steve has to say.

    honestly i don't remember when the first(current)-gen intel imacs came out, and my best estimation on when the second-gen will come out is 'a month after i buy my first-gen, give or take a week'

    but there are certain components of the imac that are unupgradable. it's not easy to upgrade the CPU or hard drive, but it's possible. hell, it's possible to watercool that thing if you're a good modder. that rapidly-aging video hardware on the other hand, you'd be stuck with. probably the dvd burner too, i don't know how you go about swapping that out.
     

Share This Page