iMac 20" vs Dual PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yayo, Feb 17, 2005.

1. yayo macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi all (first time poster),

Recently I saw the iMac 20" in an Australian Retailer catalogue for around AUD$3000, which to me is a fairly nice price - and is a considerable purchase. Ideally, I have my eyes set on at least a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 system with a 20" Cinema display. (Hoping to get a dual 2.0Ghz PowerMac)

I do a fair amount of graphic work (I'm a web/graphic designer) so I'm thinking the dual system would be more beneficial in the long run? (plus I think it looks better).

Does anyone see/think a price drop is imminent come release time of Tiger? and should I be patient and get the dual G5 system over the iMac. I'd be looking at hopefully purchasing mid-year.

By the way, I am in Australia - and this will be my first Apple Mac. Thanks for any input.
  2. Modjo macrumors member

Feb 17, 2005
    You can't really compare the 2 computers you're considering. The PowerMac is definitely faster and way more expensive if you need to buy a cinema display!

I do think the PowerMac is the way to go if you need to do heavy graphic editing stuff etc. But if you're only gonna use it for some occasional photoshopping and to build websites, ... i would buy the iMac. I do that stuff on my iMac G4 1Ghz with easy ...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yay! Another Aussie Mac user! :D
    The iMac is a great machine but it is seriously bottlenecked by its graphics card which is not replacable. For now (and for most uses) the 64Mb card is great and will get you through most tasks quite easily. Most people's main concern with it is the non-replacable part which kind of limits the life of the computer.

For my money, I'd go the iMac because it's actually (as a package) quite a bit cheaper than the tower. However, I don't do all that much graphics work. Maybe go to a reseller and try out some of the apps you use on their iMacs remembering that they put BARELY ANY RAM in their machines. If they seem fast enough, go for it.

And enjoy! :D
  4. yayo thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks for the input so far. I like the pricing of the iMac, but not really it's looks. I think I'll be happier with at least a dual 1.8Ghz system and the Cinema display (plus it looks sexier :))