imac 20" vs G5 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac_westy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mac_westy macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2005
    Okay, I was hoping for something new in the G5 line at MWSF though logic told me there would be nothing, but now I find myself no longer able to wait, so which product do I go with. Do I purchase the slick iMac 20" or do I buy a dual 1.8 G5 (or single) and a 20" monitor? I would like to computer to last me at least two years and need to keep my costs down (or else I would be going for the dual 2.5), so what do you think is the best bang for the buck? I would love to hear your most valued opinions as I am really torn between the two. :eek:

Thanks in advance!!
  2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    I am almost positive that this is already a thread. Please search the site.

Thank You,
    Spencer :)

P.S. iMac G5 is much better if you don't need expandability.
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Kinda depends what you want to use it for. For stuff like 3D games and/or heavy music editing then the dual G5 with a decent graphics card is a better way to go. For general use then the iMac will be all you need. I just got a 20" iMac a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it.
  4. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I was in the same dilema as you. I was going to but the 20" iMac, but the 3D card really kept me back. So I decided to go with the 1.8 SP so I can play WoW well, also it will last me longer (I'm expecting to keep ths for about 3-4 years, but I will probably buy a laptop within that time for Uni).
    I was going to get the Dell monitor with it, but when Apple put the price down, I have decided to go with that now. I am going to buy it ASAP :D. Cant wait! First mac that I would've ever used (apart from really old Powermac G3 systems years ago that I cant remeber using)