imac 20" vs G5 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac_westy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mac_westy macrumors newbie

Okay, I was hoping for something new in the G5 line at MWSF though logic told me there would be nothing, but now I find myself no longer able to wait, so which product do I go with. Do I purchase the slick iMac 20" or do I buy a dual 1.8 G5 (or single) and a 20" monitor? I would like to computer to last me at least two years and need to keep my costs down (or else I would be going for the dual 2.5), so what do you think is the best bang for the buck? I would love to hear your most valued opinions as I am really torn between the two. :eek:

Thanks in advance!!

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I am almost positive that this is already a thread. Please search the site.

Thank You,
    Spencer :)

P.S. iMac G5 is much better if you don't need expandability.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Kinda depends what you want to use it for. For stuff like 3D games and/or heavy music editing then the dual G5 with a decent graphics card is a better way to go. For general use then the iMac will be all you need. I just got a 20" iMac a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it.

4. Devie macrumors 6502a

I was in the same dilema as you. I was going to but the 20" iMac, but the 3D card really kept me back. So I decided to go with the 1.8 SP so I can play WoW well, also it will last me longer (I'm expecting to keep ths for about 3-4 years, but I will probably buy a laptop within that time for Uni).
    I was going to get the Dell monitor with it, but when Apple put the price down, I have decided to go with that now. I am going to buy it ASAP :D. Cant wait! First mac that I would've ever used (apart from really old Powermac G3 systems years ago that I cant remeber using)