Imac 2012 specific ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DopeZilla, May 1, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys, I've been habitually lurking these forums for the last couple of months in anticipation of the new Imac and thought that its time to actually start contributing. I'll start with a question for the vast amount of people here that have far superior tech knowledge to myself. I'm intending to go all out in terms of specs when the new machines are (finally) released as I want to get atleast 4 years out of it. My question is in regards to buying 3rd party ram for the new Imac. On a lot of sites I've been researching, the available ram is specifically categorized under "Imac 2010" and "Imac 2011" and so on. Does this mean I should wait until the 2012 Imac is released before purchasing 16gb of ram? Or, for all intensive purposes, is there no difference if I was just to stick ram that has been classified as "Imac 2011" memory in the new machine? I'm asking because I want to have 16gb of ram right off the bat when I buy the computer, but I obviously don't want to pay the over inflated prices that Apple offers.

Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question guys!

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

Not stupid at all....When you have your Mac, run the Crucial diagnostic tool from:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx

This will identify the correct upgrade path for your Mac. DOn't be tempted to pay Apple's prices. Installation is easy and will not void your warranty or Applecare in any way....Apple themselves give detailed instructions on how to perform the upgrade:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423

3. macrumors 601

I am sure that the 2012 iMac will use the same memory as the 2011 one.

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

Agreed, but the scanner will make certain...Apple want +£160 in the UK to go from the base 4GB to 8GB:eek: I took mine from 8GB to 16GB for a fraction of the price. It's the only thing I won't buy from them...Newegg are also good.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the quick reply! Yeah, I think it will be safest to just wait until my brand spankin' new beast arrives and find out exactly what it needs. And whether or not it would void my warranty was my next question, so thanks for that!

Now to keep enduring this agonizing wait...

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

Hang in there....A big box is heading your way...Inside the big box is another big box...Reminds me of those Russian dolls that fit together...Apple take no chances with packaging...My 27" took two of us to unbox...enjoy your new Mac!..:)

7. macrumors 68020

No matter which Mac you buy, you should be able to get 4+ years out of it at the very least.

I have a G4 Powerbook from 2006 that still does the job today as well as it did 6 years ago. Is it as good as a 2011 Macbook Pro, well of course not.

I have a 2008 iMac that runs as good today as it did in 2008. Does it run as good as my brand new 2011 iMac? Well of course not.

But then again will a 2012 iMac run as good as a 2016 iMac in 2016?

I hope I am alive to find out! ;)

Side Note: Not one of my old Windows boxes have lasted as long as my Macs have!

8. macrumors 68020

Well I'm not running as good as I did 4 years ago so I don't expect my computers to either :(