Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Interesting, I wonder if they will add speed updates or if we will get a redesigned iMac next year?

Daniel Reed

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Yup these are most certainly GPU options for the 2017 iMac.

Unfortunately, the (strong) hints of a dual GPU option for the iMac (pro) may have been inaccurate. The XT2 designation did NOT mean dual GPU in the past for Tahiti, but rather a revision that bumped the speed a bit with an increased clock.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Also possibly good news for a Mac Pro refresh that Vega 10 drivers are in there as that is a workstation-class GPU like the current FirePros.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
the rumours of ARM chips was clearly those found on the touchbar macbook pros...those arm chips keeps that oled touchbar alive
[doublepost=1481150218][/doublepost]what amd chips could fit into the next imac and mac pro?

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Interesting, I wonder if they will add speed updates or if we will get a redesigned iMac next year?

Yes, we will get an iMac with a display you can swing (rotate) the full 360 degrees. The CPU and GPU (+ PSU) are placed in a small box forming the feed of the display holder.

Oh wait... someone in Redmond already thought of that ;-)

Hopefully they can make the bezel smaller next year

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yes, we will get an iMac with a display you can swing (rotate) the full 360 degrees. The CPU and GPU (+ PSU) are placed in a small box forming the feed of the display holder.

Hopefully they can make the bezel smaller next year

Yea Microsoft thought of that, they copied the iMac and then added to it. Not something i would buy as it runs Windows and looks ridiculous when someone is leaning on it with the Surface Pen, but each to their own. I'm happy with what Apple is doing by not getting into the hybrid and touchscreen Mac. I'm thinking Apple will update the iMac next year.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

AND IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP.

I'm not sure why anyone needs a 360º monitor. Is the dust behind the monitor in need of something?

It would be adequately pleasant if Apple does NOTHING to the exterior design, but jumps up all qualities and quantities of the inner workings, this next year. Let's face it: the iMac is quite good as it is, in exterior design. Apple needs a new keyboard with backlighting and it needs to upgrade hardware to be current-as-can-be.

A quirky redesign of the package would just be fluff for most iMac users. The iMac could become the MacPro of 2020 and beyond (assuming Apple is dumping the Pro sooner than later, and it would work as a Pro for many people... not all. However, it needs to be kept constantly current with better memory, CPU, GPU, drives, USB/BT/TB, monitors, etc., and most of all it needs a premium OS.

Due to the Intel debacle, Apple will probably go to the Axx chips they make within the next 3 or 4 years. Depending on how they shape that switch, it could be incredible or it could be a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.