iMAc 20inch OCZ Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Estic, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Estic macrumors member

Sep 12, 2004
    Just wanted to put a heads up about OCZ memory designed for the G5. It does not fit in the G5 iMac because of the heat spreaders. Actual one dimm fits but if you have an additional dimm no luck. I ordered the 2x 2gb matching dimms and when I received my iMac TODAY was upset when only one would fit in. I called OCZ and the lady was very nice and they said they would try to work something out, maybe remove the heatspreaders. As of now I'm waiting on a call from the tech at OCZ to find out what I can do.

Besides that the new iMac rocks with 1gb!!!!!!!
  2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    You understand that for Macs, heatspreaders are not necessary. You're running 8-3-3-3. I could run my PC2700 @ that speed. Hell, even getting OCZ is not necessary. Unless you are overclocking or running 2-2-2 (which i seriously doubt), you're better off getting crucial or corsair value ram.
  3. Estic thread starter macrumors member

Sep 12, 2004

The price was there 465 at newegg for 2gb. So your saying that I could take off the heat spreaders? As of now I don't want to remove the heat spreaders because it viods the warrenty. I'm hope OCZ will let me and still backup their product.

I just notice your at UMD, I go there too.
  4. Estic thread starter macrumors member

Sep 12, 2004
    Follow up to the OCZ heat spreader problem. OCZ shipped me out new sticks and I'm sending the old ones back. Great costumer service. A+++