imac 21.5" only showing 3.75 GB in activity monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparkie7, Dec 9, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have a base 21.5" iMac. It says it has 4GB RAM under "About This Mac". But when you run Activity Monitor it only shows 3.75 GB total. This doesn't happen on my Mac Pro or MBP. Anyone else notice this inconsistency?

2. macrumors regular

You have 4Gb installed, however 256Mb of that is being used by the video card.

3. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

On my mini (1.66GHz GMA950 Leopard) I have 2GB installed and AM reports 2GB, even though 128MB is being used by the graphics card. Is this a Snow Leopard thing?

4. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't believe that is accurate. I have 4GB of RAM in my computer, but it is reported as 3.75GB, and I have a dedicated graphics card.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

That's what I thought too. The graphics card SHOULD have its own RAM.

However looking at the Apple site under specs for the 21.5", it does say..

"NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory"

Bummer :rolleyes:

6. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I've had macs with integrated graphics before with Snow Leopard and it did not show RAM like that. I am 99% positive that that's not why the RAM is displayed like that. Especially since I have my integrated graphics card turned off.

7. macrumors newbie

deleted - double post

8. macrumors newbie

its a bit deceptive if you ask me. 4GB RAM, should be full 4GB accessible and usable RAM. Otherwise the machine really should be advertised as "comes with 3.75GB RAM"

9. macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have confirmed the following:

My imac with OWN graphics card, shows my full amount of memory in activity monitor.

My Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 shows in Actvity monitor my memory except .25 GB, which is obviously to graphics.

So yes, that is why activity monitor shows .25 less than you actually have. There are no worries then, it's just functioning as it should.