iMac 21 inch (2012) Image Retention

Discussion in 'iMac' started by demeyerb, Jan 18, 2013.

1. demeyerb, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new iMac but I was wondering if the 21 inch models suffer from IR? Anyone with experience with the new model?

2. macrumors newbie

There is no IR-receiver in late 2012 iMac :(

3. macrumors regular

I think the OP was referring to Image Retention - don't think infra red is something that an iMac has ever suffered from....

4. simsaladimbamba

I suppose demeyerb meant Image Retention with IR, not Infra Red.

As far as I have gathered, IR is limited to Retina Displays and not happening with 2012 iMacs.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm indeed speaking of image retention. This since I'm reading of IR issues with the latest 27 inch model.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to test it, but I want to know if people who already bought a 21 inch model (end 2012) are experiencing it.
    If it would be the case, I'll wait a few months for a rev version.

7. macrumors member

My 27"/680mx had some image retention the first day I turned it on then it stopped and I haven't seen it since, even with some serious gaming use where game menus and such remain in the same place for several hours. It's possible that the screen just needs to "warm up" a day or so then the problem disappears.

8. Lava Lamp Freak, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors 65816

Out of four new 27" iMacs I've seen in person -- one I purchased and returned due to image retention, and the other three I saw at the at the Apple Store -- only one didn't have obvious signs of image retention. I wasn't able to test the good one thoroughly, so it may have had it as well.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509571&highlight=retention

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1524767&highlight=retention

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1522833&highlight=retention

So far, I've heard only one report of a 21" having image retention.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Gents, just to be clear: I'm looking for reports on 21 inch iMacs; everyone knows the story about the 27'ers.

10. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I just recently bought the 2012 iMac as well. The $2599 with the fusion drive installed. Everything worked great except for the screen. I returned it three different times with three different replacements and I keep getting the Image Retention. Been going through three of them in a whole week. The third one was actually from this afternoon after I picked it up from the store. I'm pretty sure most people are having this issue at least from what I've been hearing and reading around the online forums. I had it pretty bad on my very first one. The other two weren't as bad but if your going to pay for something this expensive you expect to have no issues with something like this. Apple seems to not care about their quality control. I don't know but I sure hope they get this resolved soon. I'm back using my Late 2009 27 inch iMac which still runs great. Just wanted to put my thoughts in here as well.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you order the 21 inch iMac?