iMac 23" Core Trio

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apple!Freak, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

How insanely great would that be if a 23" iMac Core Trio was introduced on April 1st (or around then)? I'd have my credit card already lined up to take the beating. :p

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Is a core trio a core duo and a core solo? or 3 core solo's?

i want a high powered new design powerbook (MBP) in 13.3" screens. same power as MBP, but in a smaller package and built in high powered speakers.:D

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Won't!Happen

core duo maybe

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

That doesn't exist.

This is a dumb, pointless post.

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well, aren't you a treat...

6. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Duh ????!!!!????

I hope you are thinking along the lines of April Fools day as this is a STOOPPID Post ! - so . . . . .

a Core Trio - a processor that does not exist

23" LCD Screen - not on any of the screen manufacturer's portfolios

DUH !!!!!

Get real man ! (I know that is an americanism but heh, who cares . . . it's FRIDAY EVENING !!!!)

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

No reason for the harsh words.

I still think it's too soon for a 23" iMac, mainly because I just bought a 20" iMac.:D

Honestly though, I think the prices for 23" displays are still a little to high for Apple to use them in an iMac without it approaching the Pro Line pricing. I guess if they were to do a 30th Anniversary iMac then pricing may not be as important but I don't think the time is right yet. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

8. turbopants macrumors regular

As much as I'd like a 23" or 24" iMac, I don't think it's going to happen. :D There might dual core duos in the future, though.

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I don't think the core duo/solo supports dual or more processor configs. I might be wrong though. feel free to correct me.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Powers of two

Cores seem to come in powers of two like 2, 4, 8, 16, ....

Intel currently only offeres a dual core. The next one will likely be a 4-core.

Currently Sun Microsystems is offereng 8-core SPARC chips. (and at a pretty fair price too.) I'm sure Intel will follow Sun's lead on this

I don't know the word for it. It goes "solo", "dual", quad", .... Ok how do it continue? Sun simply says "8 Cores with 4 threads per core for 32 hardware threads per chip". But Intel seems to like words not numbers and Apple would never use wording as complex as Sun's

11. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Well aren't you a Negative Nancy

In regards to the 23-incher.... I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm not expecting it April 1st.

12. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Core Trio? What's going on in your head? They said the desktops would switch to either Merom or ViiV at fall. (I don't remember excactly, sorry if I'm wrong).
    BTW, I made a post about a 23" iMac, and most people believed it wouldn't come. But, to answer your question, no it wouldn't be cool witg a 23" Core Trio.:D

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Speakers need size and mass to be powerfull. It's just physics. "Powerfull" means "moves a lot of air" You can't just "push harder" to move more air either. If you want a 30Hz bass sound the speaker cone was to move 30 times per second no faster. For more sound you just have to make the diametr larger. OK there are tricks like "bass reflex" where you can put both sides of the speaker cone to good use but that only doubles the area of the cone.

Did you see that iGhettoblaster or whatever the thing Steve introduced a short while ago. Phyics pretty much dictated the size and weight any smaller and they have to give away either sound quality or sound volume.

Also do you know what a 100 watt amp would do to a notebook battery?

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

care to explain why there is no 23" LCD screen?

15. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Can you imagine how bulky, space consuming, and heavy a 23" iMac would be?
    Geez, just a few years ago a 17" was sweet, then a 20" was/is sweet! Now, people are wanting 23"ers? Wow. I'm more than happy with my 20".

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, a 23" imac with 2.33GHz Core DUO, 250GB, 2GB RAM, X1600 would complement my 24" Dell quite nicely. :p

I don't think it's too bulky for me. I love to have many Windows open.

A machine like this could be around $2300.

But i don't think it's going to happen.

ANDI

17. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Go to CompUSA everyday and play around on the Apple Cinema 30" Display they have setup and you'll know why I want a 23" iMac in place of the 20" I have now. My 20" just doesn't give me enough room to do the stuff I want to do. It's workable, but it would be much better to have the extra space.

I'd imagine Apple would introduce a 23" iMac at $1,999 ($300 more than the 20" now) and that's a price I would pay.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

$1999 + $200 for the RAM + $149 for Apple Care = ~$2350

Yep, that would work for me. If it was possible to swap out the CPU with a faster Core Duo or even Merom that would seal the deal for me.

andi

19. deebster macrumors 6502

Core Octet?

Octocore?

DuoQuad core?

I like Octocore. Makes me think of some some kind of Intel-driven sea monster.

Yep, I have nothing better to do :D

20. deebster macrumors 6502

Core Octet?

Octocore?

DuoQuad core?

I like Octocore. Makes me think of some weird kind of Intel-driven sea monster.

Yep, I have nothing better to do :D

21. janstett macrumors 65816

Yes, it's already confirmed that there will be a 4-core processor in Intel's upcoming generation (Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest, etc.). But I think this will be a desktop chip and won't see life in the iMac.

22. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Pbff not as insane as a 30" iMac Core QuadroPro.. amd a 42" iMac Core Sextupro

23. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I think the 30" iMac Quad is within the realm of possibility.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

25. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Who needs that much screen real-estate, that wouldn't rather have a PowerMac with a 23" ACD?