Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I got my 24" iMac recently and it's so quiet that if it weren't for the light when it's on sleep mode I could not tell that it is turned on at all (yes, that quiet!).

However, from time to time, it makes a "buzz" sound, some times for like 1-2 minutes and other times just 10-20 seconds but for a few times until it finally stops. It's buzzing right now and I'm not using much CPU or memory at all, so it seems kind of random.

The noise isn't loud, but it can be annoying at times, kind of like if there was a bug trapped inside it trying to fly away. Since it doesn't happen all the time I assume it's normal, but can anyone tell me what exactly it is and why it does that?

Thanks

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Perhaps that is your problem! :D

Hehe, I knew that'd be the first reply. Sadly, I checked and there is no flying bug fighting for it's life on my iMac :(

Also note I'm not talking about the normal noise you can hear from the CPU when it has more usage, it's something different, louder and more annoying. Didn't happen again since I posted.

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Mine buzzes also. It sounds like it's coming from the screen. It sounds like a bad flourescent bulb. It happens all the time and I think it has become louder. Searching threads to see if there is a resolution or if it's just a bad display... (iMac 24").

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Mine buzzes also. It sounds like it's coming from the screen. It sounds like a bad flourescent bulb. It happens all the time and I think it has become louder. Searching threads to see if there is a resolution or if it's just a bad display... (iMac 24").

Thanks for the response, but I don't think mine is coming from the screen, nor ir happens all the time. I'm starting to think it's only when I'm using a lot of CPU for a while (when I was gaming on windows for example), would that make any sense?

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Yeah, don't forget, you've got the whole computer residing behind your screen. My g5-iMac frequently has fan sounds and HDD sounds emanating from it during regular use. Granted, neither sound like a bug to me, but that's the biologist in me.

<edit>If you're concerned, take advantage of the warranty and have it checked out at an authorized service center.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
It could be a fan I suppose, I'm not really concerned, just curious because it doesn't do it all the time. Thanks for all the responses, if it starts doing it constantly I might check it with Apple but I doubt it will.

Dice-K

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
Calgary
Hi,

My new iMac 24" does that too! I just set it up yesterday and this crackling noise is most prevalent when you first boot up the computer. It happens intermittantly when I'm using the net and usually when I click on an icon on the dock...and right now its buzzing...this can't be normal, can it? I'm thinking I should just call apple and see what they say, but thought I'd check here for more opinions first. Thanks!

Kelvin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.