Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I am wanting to buy either a 24" iMac or a Mac mini plus an LCD TV for my living room.

With the iMac if I wanted to watch TV I'd get EyeTV, but I am debating whether I will get cable or not (don't watch much TV and am not a big fan of it anyways).

But the Mac mini lets me get a better screen. Although, if I'm not going to watch much TV, the iMac would work just fine for DVDs.

What should I do? I can't decide. The Mac mini route is definitely cheaper, but that's not a big issue. But the iMac has bigger drive, more ram, better GPU, etc.

Help me decide :)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
If you don't anticipate getting cable, or watching much TV at all, I'd go with the iMac. It has a decent screen size for DVDs and will be a much more productive machine than the mini.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What the geek said.

In my case, I was all set to buy a Mac mini for my family room, but ended up picking up the 17" iMac Core Duo instead. It's currently hooked up to a 42" Samsung LCD HDTV as a secondary display and I get the best of both worlds. One limitation you need to recognize about the mini is that it'll only handle one display so if you're watcing TV, no surfing the web, etc...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.