iMac 24" owners: Any regrets? Is it too big?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sigamy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    I'm really stuck in deciding between the 20" iMac and the 24". My 17" iMac G4 just died (LCD) so now my wishes to upgrade are coming true.

Before the 24" existed it was a no brainer that I'd get the 20" as a nice upgrade from my 17". Now that the 24" is here and I see them side-by-side, the 20" looks small. I know when I have it on my desk I probably won't even notice.

My budget is tight so I'm worried about splurging on the 24". I also worry that it will be just too big for my usage and that I won't adapt well to it.

The 20" should be fine for my uses, but I also worry that if I get it I'll always wonder "what if..." and regret not getting the 24". The video card upgrade on the 24" is nice also, just for future growth (no gaming here).

Nice problems to have, right? As I recently heard on a mac podcast, "this is a true first world problem."

So, does anyone have any input for me? I like to upgrade every 3 years or so. I'm also not crazy about the current iMac design (like my G4 iMac much more) so if the next iMac is very cool I may want to sell and then move on to that machine.

To those of you with the 24"...any regrets? Does it seem too big? Or are you now wondering how you lived with a 20" or 17"? How do you work on the 24"? Do you put apps in full screen or have two apps open at once side by side?

As for my uses of the machine...consumer video and photo. I'm making a few short films with a mixture of Final Cut and iMovie. I also make movies of the kids in iMovie and generally use iLife to the fullest, iMovie, slideshows and DVDs. We have 10,300 images in iPhoto from 2001-present. I also rip DVDs for "backup purposes only".

Thanks all. Looking forward to some comments.
  2. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    There have been complaints on that the screen is unsuitable for photography and design (even after calibration) - much like the Dell 24" monitor - if that's your interest.
  3. damienvfx macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you use it for film

Then you'll love editing the timeline on a 24". I don't have an iMac, but I do have a 24" Dell. No such thing as too much screen real estate. The biggest problem you'll have is if you use a different monitor at work it'll drive you crazy how small it is.
  4. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I had the 20", but sold it as soon as I heard the 2 feet iMac was out.
    I have a small living room, and I used my iMac to watch DVD´s, but the 20" was a bit small for that.

I also do some light editing (my showreel etc), and as previous poster said, you can´t get enough screen estate.

So I oredered the 2 feet one a few days ago, waiting for it to arrive
  5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    I think it's too early to say that, as only a couple of people have mentioned that, and it seems that lower brightness is only a software update or widget away. As for the Dell 24", it uses the same panel as all the other 24" displays, including even the Eizo ones which can cost more than the 24" iMac. Dell managed to screw things up with what they added to the panel.

6. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    It is absolutely beautiful... I thought it would take longer to adapt to the screen, but within hours of using it I was used to it... I can't imagine having something smaller now :X :(
  7. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
  8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    But that's only because its too bright even at the lowest brightness. Those people complaining should be using a CRT anyway.

Personally, I love the 24".
  9. Lynxpoint macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    good point.

I wonder what a 23" ACD looks like next to the 24" iMac given the screen is "brighter" (for those that would go dual-screen).
  10. Mundy macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2006
    The displays that you mention have the same brightness rating of 400 cd/m.