iMac 24" vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blasto333, Feb 2, 2007.

1. blasto333 macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2004
    I currently have a mac mini 1.66ghz core duo 1gb ram. I have Windows XP that I use a lot (which I run in Parallels) but it runs pretty slow. Basically when I launch it my computer comes to a hault.

I need to be able to run both operating systems without slowing down the other.

Which computer would you recommend? I am most likely going to purchase the computer in the Spring. (iLife 07 and 10.5)
  2. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    What are you doing with the two OS's when your computer comes to a halt? It may be that your mini just needs more RAM.

What kind of display do you have? If you have some decent dollars invested in it, maybe you should go for a used Mac Pro.

What apps do you use in Windows? Are they supported by Crossover Mac?
  3. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2004
    I have a widescreen ViewSonic 19" LCD (It is pretty nice). I have 2 512MB sticks of ram in my mac mini (so upgrading would be expensive).

I use Visual (so I doubt crossover supports it). I also use Visio within Windows.
  4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    if i had to choose, i'd get a 24" imac over a mac pro. despite the 24" imac's big size, i still like the compactness an all-in-one brings, and it's smaller than a tower + monitor setup. it's got a gorgeous 24" display, speedy processor and decent specs all around. unless you need the quad processing power of a mac pro or the upgradability of a tower, stick with the imac.
  5. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Tough choices. Also depends on how you configure it too. If the Mac Pro was stock and the 24" iMac was upgraded (2.33Ghz, 7600 GT) to the base price of the Mac Pro.

I'd go for the 24" iMac.
  6. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    blasto..depends on what your are doing. i'd say macpro for anything professional like video editing or graphics (although the 2ft imac) would be good for the graphics.

personally, i'm fighting the same thing, but i use my macs for my business so it will be a mac pro, but a 2ft imac would be alot of fun to mess around with itunes, iphoto, email etc..etc.. watching movies too. awesome :)