iMac 24" vs MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacHouse, Sep 17, 2006.

1. MacHouse macrumors newbie

I've owned a number of Macs starting with a IIsi years ago. It's time for our iMac G4 17" to move on to the in-laws house & we can't decide between a new 24" iMac Core 2 duo or a new MacPro 2.66 quad core. Primarily, this machine will be used for the normally mundane tasks (Mail, Safari, MS Office, etc) but we wanted to capability to actually use iMovie and iDVD to some editing of home movies. The staff at the local Apple Store couldn't tell me how much faster/better the MacPro would be over the iMac for video editing.

Any advice or comments welcome!

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

If you're just using the iLife suite, go with the iMac 24" - it's plenty of power for your needs.

The Mac Pro, while it will be slightly faster at iLife apps, is designed more for the pro who needs to upgrade or for Apple's pro apps (Aperture, Final Cut, etc.)

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

The iMac will be more than enough for your needs. I would go with that route if I were in your position.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

For your stated uses MacHouse, the 24" iMac would work great. :)

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Personally I will be going for the Mac Pro, I don't need all the power from it but it will last me forever, in the end saving me money. Incase you hadn't heard everything on it is upgradable.

6. wisredz macrumors regular

24" iMac is more than enough. MacPro is good as well but there will be the price of the extra display...

All in all go with the iMac. You will save yourself about 1k.

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Based on your expected use, the iMac is the clear choice. Why spend the money on the Mac Pro if you don't need the specs?

8. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

I would believe that if you really want to use imovie. idvd.
    it would be a waste to get mac pro. you should spend the extra money and get the consumer level final cut express. way better program.

also, i am against the same dilemma. right now i believe issue is whether you will want to upgrade later on.

for me, if you want the ability to use os x 10.5 with the new backup utility, the mac pro, and its upgradability is sexy. You can put a extra hard drive in a bay, and it will auto backup to it.

also, the entire thing is upgradable. If i buy this. it will last 2 years more than an imac for me. at least i think so.

sounds like you could get the imac though .

9. MacHouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for your comments. My only thought on the MacPro over the iMac is that perhaps I could update it as necessary ... memory, hard drive, graphics card, processor & keep it useable for a longer period of time without coming up with a couple thou every 3 years....

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The iMac is a beautiful and powerful machine, but it does have those AIO design restrictions. You are also limited to 3 GB RAM.
    Because of the AIO design, you would be foolish not to get AppleCare for the
    24" iMac. After extended use, you may need to replace the optical drive.
    They do crap out especially if kids have access to your machine.

The Mac Pro is a true professional workstation with all the advantages of extra performance and storage for 24/7 operation, expandability and connectivity for professional use.

Even at education pricing, the 2.66 model with the correct 2 GB of RAM installed, BT/AP wireless option and everything else, stock starts you out at $2640.00
    If that leaves you enough for a good display, then yes it will most certainly be more future resistant.

Like the other's have stated, you'd be fine with the iMac, but only you and your family can determine if it's worth it for you to spend an extra $1000.00+
    for the Mac Pro and a display.

11. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Of course the Mac Pro is the better machine, but the iMac has alot going for it beyond the obvious price difference. Silence, space, design, power consumption, heat output, they all matter different amounts to people, but you should think of them. Also, remember that the iMac has the 'consumer' features like FrontRow and the built in iSight.

David

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice features in my opinion that definitely add to the value of owning an iMac. :)

14. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

If I'm professionally editing video on my 17" iMac G5 2.0 GHz with 512 MB RAM and Final Cut Express, then a 2.16 GHz intel 24" iMac with 1 GB RAM would definitely fit your iMovie needs, or even Final Cut Express needs for that matter.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good point iMacZealot. :)

16. MacHouse thread starter macrumors newbie

24" iMac it is then..

Thanks for the advice & helpful links (for some reason I didn't spot that one comparing the Pro 2.0GHz to iMac 24" before).

Does it make sense to do any of the following upgrades to the stock 24" unit
    2.33 GHz cpu?
    500 GB drive?
    256 MB video card?

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would definitely go for the 256MB GeForce 7600GT video card. Although, you would probably be okay with the stock card. :)

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

If you're editing, by all means, get a bigger hard drive! I have 160 GB internal and an 80 GB external drive and I'm still running out of space! I'm kicking myself for not getting more.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Agreed, the 7600 GT is a great card.

I think you'll be O.K. with the 250 GB HD for starters.

If you find yourself maxing out the stock drive, buy a larger Seagate later.

The processor upgrade might add a little zing, but it seems to be a luxury
    at the moment.

I posted those benchmarks on purpose, just to give you some food for thought.

If you decide on the iMac, then I'd go for the 2 GB RAM option, the 7600GT, the stock 250
    GB HD and Apple Care.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Especially at $250. If the price to upgrade the iMac to the 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo was cheaper, then I would consider it to be more worthwhile. :eek: :)

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

All things considered, the 24" iMac is going to be a very nice upgrade from your
    17" G4.

22. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

The other thing to consider, which I'm doing right now, is that you can get a low end MP with the 2ghz processors for only about $250 MORE than the 24" iMac and be able to upgrade the MP to your hearts content down the line. Even though the iMac slightly beats the MP in certain tests now, you can upgrade the MP processor, ram, etc...down the line for far less than it will cost you to eventually replace the iMac.