Imac 24" vs MBP 17" / More power?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jemmX, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jemmX macrumors member

jemmX

Hi all,

i need buy a new mac and i need some recomendation...

I work in video/audio editing, authoring DVD's & 3D.:cool:

What you choose?:confused:

iMac 24" (2,16ghz) - 2gb ram - Nvidia 7600 (256mb) - 500gb HD 7200rpm
    vs
    MBP 17" (2,33ghz) - 2gb ram - Ati x1600 (256mb) - 100gb HD 7200rpm

Thanks so much for your time :)

jemmX

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

This one will mainly depend on your needs for portability. THe imac is chaper but if portability is a must, or would be useful the macbook pro would be more useful. I might recomment a 20" iMac with the sme specs, except graphics card and screen size and a refurbed core duo mbp. However if you want one machine it really only depends on your needs for something portable both are great machines.

3. jemmX thread starter macrumors member

jemmX

I suposed C2D ;), portability is relative.
    I need less video processing time and more resolution display.
    But is dificult to me choose one.

4. poorlytoldjoke macrumors newbie

You get a better resolution with the iMac. The video card isn't as important, because for the most part when you are rendering video, it isn't using much of the video card. The video card is mainly for pushing polygons and such for games. Your processor speed is a bit slower on the iMac, but it's not going to be a notable difference. You can also bump up the speed on the iMac. The extra harddrive space is nice, plus it's a faster harddrive, which will likely be the most crucial thing to cutting your render times.

I just bought the 20 inch iMac and do video editing on it, and I adore it.

5. jemmX thread starter macrumors member

jemmX

Thank you Poorlytoldjoke.
    If no exist too much diference, I choose it a portability, but in 24" is posible upgrade in the future?, like precessor and graphic card? or is the finish line for the C2D socket posibilitys, anyway is interesting but not determinating for me.

Thx again.:)

6. Fredou51 macrumors regular

Processor is possible though very complicated and most likely expensive. Graphic card is not possible as it is soldered on.

Also, did you consider that you'll most likely need an external hard drive for the MBP because 100GB or even 160GB won't be enough.

Frederic

7. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

What about a MBP for the road (maybe even a high end 15" to save money), and an external ~20"+ external screen for the desk???

Just a thought...

8. poorlytoldjoke macrumors newbie

I think this is a pretty solid option, depending on how much money you have to spend. Plus, if you are doing video editing, I still think the CRTs give better color than the lcds or plasmas.

9. jemmX thread starter macrumors member

jemmX

Another extra display is great, i supose when come to Spain the new Dell 20" for less 300 hundred euros,(the simple model, without conectors).

For the moment the next week i got for the MBP 17", of course english keyboard, I h8 the spanish keyboard ;), and ipod shuffle, DTT Hibrid.

When have more money Im interested in a bigger 500gb HD, for the moment have 2 HD 160gb+80gb firewire, but isn't FW 800.

cheers.:)