Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I am looking for some opinions here, in anticipation of purchasing an iMac G5 20-inch. For another $100 I can go from a 160GB to a 250GB hard drive from Apple. That's not bad, but compared to buying the iMac with the 160GB and putting that $90 towards an external hard drive.....what do you think? I could get a Lacie 250GB external for less than $190, or a Lacie Extreme 160GB for $199. And I would think that an external would have advantages over just a larger hard drive anyway, such as having your files already backed up. Any ideas?

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
If you can afford the external i would suggest you getting that. You would be able to backup stuff on the external and you would be to move it around so that you can transfer big files fast. I have an external Hard Drive (LaCie 500GB) where i keep all my videos/backup for both the desktop and my laptop. I would go with the external.

RealDeal

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
go for the external...

Both Maxtor and Western Digital have some problems (see Amazon reviews), yet i've been ok mostly (1 WD hitch with a PC).

LaCie seems higher end, and a 160/250 or 500 GB external HD is cost effective- often with choice USB2.0/FireWire (various) etc.. connnection.

OSX and "lite" downloads/work consumes 40-60GB HD in a second- so prefer a 160GB HD as a base plus more eternal HD

I'm after a 250GB shortly, for iTunes/photos/work...

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Thanks for the input....I guess I will be buying the iMac with the 160GB hard drive and buying an external HD at a later date, which is what I was leaning towards in the first place. Good to know I was heading in the right direction!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.