Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It looks like the only place I can buy a 20" Intel iMac with the 256MB VRAM option is from the Apple store (either on-line or retail) I've not seen the VRAM upgrade option offered anyplace else.

Is this true? No one else sells them?

ncoffey

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
ChrisA said:
It looks like the only place I can buy a 20" Intel iMac with the 256MB VRAM option is from the Apple store (either on-line or retail) I've not seen the VRAM upgrade option offered anyplace else.

Is this true? No one else sells them?

It's soldered onto the board. I don't think there have been ATI or nVidia cards that have been upgradable in the consumer series for a very long time, if ever.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
don't want to upgrade an iMac, want an upgraded IMac

ncoffey said:
It's soldered onto the board. I don't think there have been ATI or nVidia cards that have been upgradable in the consumer series for a very long time, if ever.

Did I ask the question wrong? I don't need to upgrade a 128MB iMac to 256Mb. I need to buy an iMac with the factory installed 256MB option. From what I've seen the only way to get one is direct from Apple. Amazon, MacWorld and other outlets only seem to carry the 128MB units. Hopefully this is more cllear. Yes I know the VRAM is soldered down

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
The only way to get the 256MB VRAM is through Apple.com since it is a CTO (customized to order) option. Amazon.com, CompUSA, Apple Store only have the base models.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Any Apple VAR can order a 256VRAM model for you, but it does have to be special ordered from Apple, so you might as well just buy it direct unless the VAR is giving you a better deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.