iMac 266mhz OSX help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Paolo, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a small problem. I'm trying to install OSX onto an iMac 266mhz currently running 9.2. But when I boot up off the OSX install disk the mouse freezes and so I can't select anything to get the installer to work.
    Does anyone know how I could get the mouse moving or get through the OSX install program without using it, because the keyboard still responds there just the mouse doesn't... and I know it ain't the connection.
    Anyone help?

Thanks

2. Jays macrumors member

are u using an Apple original mouse? some 3erd party mouse don't work well with the installer, but do work once installed.

3. User X macrumors member

This might be a little off topic but I thought I would let you know my experiance with loading OSX on a 333mhz imac. OSX does not support the ATI graphics cards in the early generations of imac's. This means that overall system performance will be slow and you will have to depend on the processor everything. This also means that you will not be able to play any games in OSX (even in classic mode). You will come up with an open GL error. As far as I know there are no drivers avilable at the moment or are there any intentions of supporting the old imac hardware. So if you are looking to make the transition over to OSX on the imac I think it will leave you dissapointed and frustrated.

4. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thats great

Although both that information is useful, it doesn't help.
    I am using the original mouse, and I don't care the processor speed, it's not my main machine, I just need to to intergrate with my newer machines, so it needs OSX... so can anyone else help me?
    Mouse still ain't working!
    The wierdest thing in all of this, is that the mouse once worked during the install but now it doesn't.... Strange huh?

Thanks

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Update the OS 9.2 to 9.2.2 and then install OS X (10.1.x).

How much memory does that iMac have??? If it has ANY less then 128MB, that could be why it won't install... You could also have sub-par memory that OS X doesn't like (if you have more then 128MB).

Also, try zapping the pram and resetting the open firmware...

6. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...

How do I zap the PRAM or reset the firmware???
    Does anyone know

Thanks

7. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Sub par memory

One other thing.... whats sub par memory, and if OSX doesn't like it... how can I fix it?
    Thanks

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I thought everyone knew how to zap their pram (apple+option+p+r on boot, let it chime 3 times). :rolleyes: To reset the open firmware, hold down the apple+option+o+f on boot and then type in "reset-all" the computer will then reboot itself. Both must be done immediately after a start/reboot, otherwise the computer will boot normally and you will have to do it again.

As for 'fixing' sub-par memory, the ONLY way to do that is to replace it with quality memory...

You still haven't said how much RAM is inside that iMac.

9. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

RAM

I have 256mb of built in ram... 2x 128mb DIMMs
    I'll try those other things

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: RAM

Built in??? The chips are plugged into the processor card (and can be removed/changed). Try pulling the top chip and see how OS X installs. Was the second chip installed at the factory or at the place of purchase? ANY memory with a black and silver Microtech sticker should be tossed (they won't function in any G4 tower and comes up as being not compatible after you update the firmware).

Just for S&G's, how does OS 9.2.2's Apple System Profiler list the two memory chips??? Post a snapshot of the memory section.

11. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

ummm

I don't have 9.2.2 only 9.2.1 I'll update it now...

12. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

memory change

I had them both installed when OSX was released... I had the 96mb ram taken out and two 128mb put in... but I never got round to putting OSX on untill now... hmmm slack.

Ummm the memory shows up in 9.2.1 as

Built in Memory: 256mb

J3/BOTTOM 128 MB DIMM
    J1/TOP 128MB DIMM

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: memory change

Need to know if they are both the same CL rating or not...

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive??? You might need to do that before attempting another OS X install.

BTW, who did your memory install, when (which OS X release) and how much did they get you for on the install??? Did they give you anything for the old memory or do they give it back to you?? I still suspect it's a memory issue, but it could be drive fragmentation.

14. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Umm it got worse

I just tried to install 9.2.2 and now it doesn't even start up... I get a little folder with a question mark and a mac face flashing... then it stops on the mac face and doesn't do anything... it just sits there???

Umm I had an apple technition install the memory and they gave back the 32mb DIMM and the 64mb DIMM.

The harddisk hasn't been defraged... in a long long time... whats the best way to do that? Norton... hmmm I dont' have norton... damn

Ummm The Harddrive is also a new installmeant I took out the 6gb one and replaced it with a 18gb one... then partitioned it so that 9.2 ran off one and 10 could run off the other... because before the mouse froze I could get to the install part but the harddisk was greyed. But I found out this was due to the fact that the harddisk was larger than 8gb so I partitioned it!
    Then when I next tried do the install the mouse wouldn't work???

I didn't know memory or Hardisk fragmentation could cause the mouse to freeze????

Can you help?

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One, unless you picked up an ancient hard drive, you cannot get an ATA drive in 18GB (is it a 20GB drive?).

Two, reinitialize it as one partition (use HFS+) and install OS 9.2.x onto it. Update right away to 9.2.2 as well as all the other updates that come up with the Software Update control panel. Since you don't have firewire, forget about the iPod updates as well as the ones for authoring (burning cd's).

Three, boot into 9.2.2, insert the OS X install cd and double click on the installer. Let it install to your hard drive and reboot.

Since you will have just wiped the drive, you shouldn't have to worry about fragmentation. If it still refuses to install all the way, or properly, I would suggest getting hold of that mook that installed the memory for you and get some quality memory installed (Kingston is good stuff). Make sure it is PC100 (or PC133) and CL2 memory (all 222 would be ideal). You could also attempt installing with just one of the memory chips installed, since one of them could be on the way out, but I doubt that. If the memory comes up as two different CL ratings, that could be the problem right there. There was a time where having two different CL rated memory chips installed gave the system all kinds of problems. Most of the current memory has gotten over that problem, as well as the latest firmware updates (for G4's and the slot loading iMac systems).

You could also double check the cables connecting the drives to the motherboard to make sure they are firmly in place.

You also might need a new battery on the logic board (1/2AA size, 3.6v Lithium-Ion battery). Those can be found at most/many Radio Shack's. They say right on them... "For Apple Macintosh Computers..." The Radio Shack part number is 23-026 (I have one right here that I am looking at). They generally run about $10-$12 and last several years (typically, they don't start to go until at least 3 years have gone by on the computer). You could replace the battery before calling on the memory... Just to cover your own ass.

IF you are going to get Norton, get the latest version... NSW2, since it includes NAV (for both OS 9.x and OS X).

16. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

there is a small problem....

os x freezes my mouse when i boot up on it.... and you can't install it without booting up on it??????

ie if i were to double click the installer icon... it would say 'restart' and proceed to boot off the cd

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: there is a small problem....

What kind of mouse, how is it connected to the iMac??? If you are running the mouse through the Apple keyboard, try plugging it into the other port on the keyboard... Or even the second port on the iMac. Do NOT use a hub in the mix. That could be the cause of all your problems, if you have one connected, remove it. Also, remove any/all external devices from your computer (you can probably leave an ethernet cable connected if you have a high speed connection and have a router giving out IP's via DHCP).

18. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

ok

It's not the connection I've tried it in every port... I've even tried boot with only the mouse and no keyboard... but still the mouse doens't work... but the keyboard does when I plug it after booting.... strange... there is nothing except a ethernet cable, power cable and usb keyboard and mouse going to the iMac.... I'm in a bit of a fix!?

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: ok

Again, WHAT KIND OF ****ING MOUSE is this??? Is it the original hockey puck or another brand mouse??? If it is an m$ mouse, chuck it.

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Can't play games???

My beige G3 can play games. It has a Rage IIc (2MB) and I've played Diablo II, EV:NOVA, Pillars of Garendall, and a bunch of others. No OpenGL error, despite the fact that my card is *definetely* not supported