Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
So, my I picked up my second iMac replacement yesterday at the Apple store. So far so good. I'm actually pretty shocked when I saw that it was made in the USA, I wasn't aware that they still make Macs in the US.

Anyway, week 19 looks pretty good. The screen is perfect to me eye. If there's anyone out there still debating weather or not they should buy one, I say go for it.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Can you take a picture of where it says its made in the USA? I might believe it says "Assembled in USA", but even that generally isn't done anymore. The last Macs to be assembled in the USA were around the 2002 era. The last macs to be MADE in the USA were... back in the 1980's?

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Can you take a picture of where it says its made in the USA? I might believe it says "Assembled in USA", but even that generally isn't done anymore. The last Macs to be assembled in the USA were around the 2002 era. The last macs to be MADE in the USA were... back in the 1980's?

I have to wait like 6 hours to use their site again (appleserialinfo) or I'd have to pay, but yeah I'll post the screenshot once they let me use it again.

anyway, my serial number starts with: QP0

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't doubt that they did since they said its a brand new one. but even if they did, I don't really see anything wrong with it, so I'm fine with whatever.

Well a lot of Apple's refurbished and CTO assembly is done in the United States. That would explain your QP serial number. But that's a far cry from being made in the United States.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Well a lot of Apple's refurbished and CTO assembly is done in the United States. That would explain your QP serial number. But that's a far cry from being made in the United States.

Actually you may be right. I looked the thing up late at night and I might have remembered it wrong.
Sorry didn't mean to mislead anyone.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Alright, so I went on from my iPod Touch because I didn't wanna wait another 6 hours to find out weather or not it was 'assembled' or 'built' in the USA.

So anyway, yeah it says built, but honestly, I really don't care that much about where or how it was made, just as long as it works fine.

Oh and yeah I blurred out my whole serial number, really don't want the world knowing it.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.PNG
    IMG_0174.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 376

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

iMacs whose serial numbers start with the QP factory code are indeed assembled in the USA, just as those starting with W8 (like mine) are assembled in Shanghai, China.

As far as the actual components in the machine they are assembled in various locations. Foxconn makes the logic boards in China. LG, based in Seoul, South Korea, makes the LCD panels in factories in Korea and China, etc.

Refurbished Macs start with "RM" so his machine definitely isn't a refurb.

F, FC, XA, XB, QP, G8 (USA)
RN (Mexico)
CK (Ireland)
SG, E (Singapore)
MB (Malaysia)
PT, CY (Korea)
EE, QT, UV (Taiwan)
1C, 4H, W8, YM, VM, WQ, 7J (China)
RM (Refurbished/Remanufactured)

cryer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
iMacs whose serial numbers start with the QP factory code are indeed assembled in the USA, just as those starting with W8 (like mine) are assembled in Shanghai, China.

As far as the actual components in the machine they are assembled in various locations. Foxconn makes the logic boards in China. LG, based in Seoul, South Korea, makes the LCD panels in factories in Korea and China, etc.

Refurbished Macs start with "RM" so his machine definitely isn't a refurb.

F, FC, XA, XB, QP, G8 (USA)
RN (Mexico)
CK (Ireland)
SG, E (Singapore)
MB (Malaysia)
PT, CY (Korea)
EE, QT, UV (Taiwan)
1C, 4H, W8, YM, VM, WQ, 7J (China)
RM (Refurbished/Remanufactured)

All 3 refurbs I got have had YD as the first two characters, not RM

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
my replacement starts with QP too week 22...(Just came out of the oven)

I will write soon a post praising apple for the great customer service they provide.

My QP model does not have any of the issues I had with the previous one I had. Screen is whiteeeeeeeee. DVD drive is quite and seems to have gloves on. SOmetimes I am afraid I do not have a hard drive, since I do no hear one.

THe only "issue" is that the fans tend to have higher revs. ( I7).

What a wonderful machine. I plan to own this till it dies....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.