iMac 27 Zoll Mid 2011 behaving very odd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ja12n, Feb 18, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

a week ago my iMac 27 Zoll started to behave odd :) At first some finder windows frozed and I couldn't close them. A few days ago it stoped working at all (and so did spotlight etc.). So I repaired the volume and the rights and my iMac worked a bit better and finder was availbe again. Now I am expierencing bluescreens with my Win7 on bootcamp (at the startup). This time I started the Win7 repair system and everything was fine again.

Do you have a Idea what could cause all this? I really don't want to repair the volume every 2 days

Thanks for reading and I appologise for my bad english :)

Ja12n

2. macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

It could be a hard drive failure. I would run a hardware test.

1. Shutdown the iMac
    2. Press the power button to turn on your computer
    3. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears

Full instructions are available here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

3. ja12n, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, I just ran the hardware test. It told me that there are no problems with my hardware (even when I did ran the longer test).
    Today my mac showed me a progress bar during the start. Nothing worked (no Spotlight, no autorun Apps, even Chrome failed at displaying websites). I restarted my mac and everything seems to be fine again.
    I really have no idea what could cause all this.

Ja12n

Edit: I had a bluescreen again on my Win7 Bootcamp :/ [​IMG]
    What can be so evil to destroy my Win7 and osX ? :(

4. macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

That all points to a hardware problem. Do you have any devices connected to your iMac?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

My iMac is connected with
    • an USB 2.0 external harddrive
    • an USB Hub
    • an epson printer/scaner
    • an USB Stick which is needed for a wireless Logitech Headset
    • A wireless Apple Keyboard
    • A Logitech USB mouse

6. macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Have you added any of these devices recently?

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't changed a thing since 2 months or so

8. Swiss-G, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Ok.

The fact that you have problems with both OSX and Windows points to a hardware problem most likely HDD.

If it's a 1TB drive it may be captured by Apples iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac-harddrive/

Type your serial number into the box on the above page to check if you are covered.

9. ja12n, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

My iMac has a WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0 Harddrive, so I assume it is from Western Digital :/ Furthermore my iMac "is not eligible for this program" offered by Apple.
    Is there another way to check if my Harddrive is damaged? Expect "Check Volume" and the Hardware check?

10. macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Do you have Apple Care on the iMac?

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I hate myself for this fold :/ I should have bought it. So now I have no guarantee left and have to search for the source of the problems. (O, I think I haven't mentioned that it is a refurbished iMac, but that should not make any difference, should it?)

12. macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

If you haven't already I would ensure that all your data is backed up in both OSX and Windows just in case of failure.

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

I already started with creating backups, it just makes me feel nervous because I have no idea what is happening with my iMac. Today he works completly fine, but tomorrow ... :)
    Anyway, thanks for the help and I hope that there will be a solution for me :)

14. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

You can test your HD by making a bootable clone with SuperDuper, that not only gives you a backup but if it boots from it and the problem is gone then that would indicate that it is the internal HD, converseley if it boots from the external and the problem persists then it's either software related that has been copied to the clone or you still rule out the internal drive.

To do an intital clone with super duper is free, you only pay for the app if you want to use the smart update feature later.