iMac 400 DV SE, HD upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by txeroki, Nov 18, 2003.

1. txeroki macrumors newbie

I need reference of how can I change my iMac 400 DV se, hard drive, thanks

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have the same computer, and have done the hard drive upgrade. All you do is unscrew the bottom shell, there are four screws. Two are at the front, and two are behind the panel that the VGA port comes out of. Once you take the shell off, you'll see a perferated metal covering, which covers everything. I forget how many screws there are to take this off, 8 I think. Once you take that off, you'll see up at the front, centered, the carrier for the hard drive and optical drive. The hard drive is the top-most unit. I would recommend removing the RAM sticks at this point, so you have clearance for removing the hard drive. Now, unplug the IDE and power cable from the hard drive. You'll see 4 screws on the top of the carrier unit which the hard drive is in. Unscrew these, and pull the hard drive out. Thats it! If my directions are a little confusing, let me know and I can clarify.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: iMac 400 DV SE, HD upgrade

here are visuals: http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

5. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it is easy to get the entire motherboard out of a slot loading iMac? (like, is it much harder than just swapping out the drive) I was thinking of replacing an iMac 350 mobo with an iMac DV mobo....

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've never tried it, but I think it would be a pain. Give it a shot though, just make sure you've discharged any static electricity. I imagine it wouldn't be too dificult, just very time consuming.

7. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502