1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

imac 400mhz se hard drive help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by misguided, Oct 2, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

i need to replace the hard drive on my imac . can anyone give me advice on how to replace it or point me to a website that can help. how do i access the hard drive? i'm a newbie to this stuff. thanks sooo much

2. macrumors 68000

mklos

Below is a link to the actual Apple Service Manual for your particular iMac. Its 11.4MB so hopefully you're not on dialup. I don't believe its very hard at all. Just remember that you can not put a huge drive in it. I don't remember the maximum size of hard drive it will recognize. Somewhere on the Apple Support page it will tell you.

http://z1.micro.umn.edu/ucs/imac_sl.pdf

3. macrumors newbie

I replaced the hd on my iMac DV SE with a 80gb drive. I found a site online with a walkthrough. Watch the screws and good luck, it should be a snap, one hour tops. :)

4. macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I just put a 40Gb Western Digital Hard Drive in one of my 400MHz iMacs It took me about 45 mins and I used this Guide to help me. It worked Great. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old Hard Drive to the new one. Also one piece of advice is be careful not to lose the screws. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

5. macrumors 68040

cluthz

Don't buy a drive larger than 120 GB for the iMac DV.
    Only machines after The QuickSilver G4 can handle more than 120 GB
    (its possible with older machines with proper software or a pci ata controller)
    It you get a drive larger than 120 GB your machine won't se more than ca. 128 GB of it. Any ATA 33/66/100/133 drive will work in your computer.
    (SATA or SCSI wont work)

6. macrumors newbie

imac hard drive

put everything in fine plugged it in to do a software restore and it doesn't have a destination disc.