iMac 600 with over 1000+ mp3's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Mar 6, 2002.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I thinking of selling my iMac g3 snow 600mhz. It is less than a year old (still eligible for apple protection plan) and I have over 1000 rock mp3's on it. All of them are set-up in iTunes. Does anybody know how much my iMac would be worth with all these mp3's on it? This curent model of imac is selling on apple's store for $999.

foofan@attbi.com

2. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

I donno, I almost have 2000. Can I be your friend? I like rock :)

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Better be careful with those MP3s...unless they're all songs you wrote and performed.
    There are some people here who will try to tear you a new one if you bring up file sharing and copyright issues. Selling a computer with the MP3s on it is file sharing taken to a whole new level! ;)

4. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

imac w/ 1000+mp3's

Just wanted to say that about 98% of my mp3's are directly from cd's that i bought, such as complete albums from nirvana, weezer, led zeppelin, doors, nerf herder, foo fighters, ccr, u2, springsteen, hendrix, ramones, guns n roses, pink floyd, rush, blink 182, george carlin, elvis costello, stevie ray vaughan, tenacious d and many others.

I bought the cd's, so it is my business what is on my mac. correct?

If someone wants to make me an offer on my mac, go ahead and email me. I accept paypal too.

I also have many other cd's that i never got around to putting on my imac. if you want me to add them i can.

By the way my current mp3's only take up about 5 gigs worth of space on the 40 gig drive.

thanks,
    Ed

foofan@attbi.com
    I have over 500 positive feedbacks on ebay

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he's got a point there....I think it would be looked upon the same way as selling a computer with a ton of graphics software loaded on it...."for evaluation purposes only" ;)

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: imac w/ 1000+mp3's

It's only legal/acceptable if you you include your CD's with your Mac at time of sale.... otherwise, it's just like selling a "backup" copy of Photoshop (translation = "illegal")

arn

7. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Be careful

My buddy got busted BIG TIME for selling "backup" copies of software. The feds (YES FEDS!!) were after him for months and when he did get busted they really screwed him.

Even "evaluation" copies of mp3s are illegal to sell or trade, no matter where you ripped them from. It's ok to use them yourself, and if you make a statement that the computer comes with the restore disks the buyer is required to use them immediately, then you might not attract too much attention. Don't expect the 1000 mp3s to add any value to your computer though.

-Pete

8. dualburn001 macrumors regular

if I were you I would just:
    1) format the drive
    2) put os x on it
    3) leave it alone

If anyone really wanted all those mp3's illegaly they'd just download them of limewire. People would rather want a clean hard drive.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Seriously. I thought it was standard operating procedure to wipe a drive clean before giving it to someone. Some people go as far as re-zeroing their HDs so that no-one can go back and restore the data.

Besides, who knows what kind of nasty pr0n you might have forgotten that you downloaded? :D

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't think it's standard procedure....more like a "good idea" to do so...

the bottom line is....don't mention the software/mp3s/whatever as means of a selling tool to fetch a higher price for your computer....it's just not a good idea...

it's not worth getting into it with the FBI over selling copies...

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have....

i have 3666 songs, 11:12:29:59 total time, 16.96 GB on my Ti667/48Gig.

hehe, i win so far.

:cool:

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: i have....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

irmongoose

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: imac w/ 1000+mp3's

If is that what you got, for me you can delete them all.:D

Do not think in adding another price to the computer because on the content of the HD, usually it doesn't matter and generaly, the person who bought it will delete everything eventually. Is like moving to some one elses room.