iMac advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applepancakes, Jul 3, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I love my 2009 Macbook but feel the time is right to upgrade. I'm looking to buy a new iMac desktop computer, probably model: MD093B/A. Apart from the bigger screen and enhanced memory what are the other advantages of imacs compared to my macbook? One downside I have noticed they don't come with a CD/DVD drive, could this pose a problem? Any advice much appreciated :)

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CPU and GPU are much better then your 2009 laptop, so you have a better screen, faster GPU faster CPU, faster memory. Larger capacity storage. Basically you need to ask what's not better at this point :)

3. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Plus you can just buy cheaply an external CD/DVD drive if need be.

4. macrumors 601

talmy

Beyond the answer that you can add an external drive, you should first ask yourself how often (if ever) you need one. I can't remember the last time I bought software on a disk. It's really only useful for playing CDs or DVDs.

5. macrumors 6502a

Hey if you want an imac then go ahead and get one. There won't be another one released and shipped until dec. and as for the optical drive, if u REALLY need one u can always buy a cheap non-apple one.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, iMac sounds a good option to get and its handy to know I can connect an external cd drive if needed. Thanks again :)

7. macrumors newbie