iMac airport issues...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lonelemur90, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lonelemur90 macrumors member

lonelemur90

hi, i am currently in the market for a new computer and i need one very very soon. (im about ready to throw my dell through the window) I love apples, and the new intel imacs are really appealing to me. i have a friend with a G5, and he absolutely loves it, so right now, i am pretty much living at the apple store and have spent many an hour on both the iMac and macbook pro. With my situation, i have concerns with the iMacs. before i buy pretty much anything, i do my research and have found a good number of people on the apple discussion boards with airport exterme problems. Even though these are brand new out-of-the-box computers, they are having significant speed losses when using the internet via airport extreme, but are fine when using a regular ethernet cable. With my setup i will be requiring the use of a wireless connection. You see my problem. I would just like to know if it would be worth the risk of buying one now, if it is a hardware or a software problem, or of any one else's iMac core duo is showing symptoms of this problem.

Any feedback you can provide will be helpful! Thanks:D

2. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

That might be because 802.11g is not as fast as ethernet....

I just transferred a load of music to my new mac from my Powerbook using Airport (sharing the connection). It is by its very nature slower than ethernet.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, but there are specific known issues with AE on the Intel Macs, above and beyond this.... It's widely suspected that it is a problem amenable to fix by software. But when that software will be available is up to guess.

Here is a big thread on the topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=184416&highlight=intel+mac+airport