imac and 360?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steveski, Dec 29, 2006.

1. steveski macrumors newbie

just wondering if there is any compatibility between iMac and xbox 360, the screen of the imac would be perfect for playing games on, so I dont need to buy an lcd screen which would cost just as much as an imac (or more).

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

yah but you need some hardware. upwards of 150$ something called an analog to digital converter. If you have a DV camcorder that you'd like to use just for this it would also work.

3. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Isn't X360 suppoting HD output? If so, you're pretty much unable to have that on iMac... Although the iMac 24" has a HD display I don't think there is any hardware that would allow live HD feed.... Elgato has an EyeTV Stick (Diversity) that has composite input so that would kind of work, but I don't know what resolution you'd get out of it.

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I think that in the long run, you'd be better off buying an external LCD screen. The Dell 20" LCD isn't all that expensive, and will offer you much more flexibility and expandability in the long run.

5. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I didn't think any of the iMacs had video-in. If that is the case, then you would have to use some USB/FireWire gadget, and I can't see that being very good. I could be wrong as I've never tried it myself, but it just seems a very convoluted way of doing things.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Yes. None of the iMac models have video input, so you'd have to buy something like the El Gato EyeTV Hybrid, which should allow you to connect your Xbox 360. However, this costs $150, and I don't believe it will let you display HD video, just composite.