iMac and Doom 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 7, 2005.

1. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm not asking if it'll work or anything else like that, I know that no one knows the sys requirements for it yet, but I was reading http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html and it states:
    I wonder if the specs for Doom3 get announced and the 5200ultra is to wimpy (seems likely?) to be used if you could get some sort of reimbursement from Apple as thier product didn't perform as advertised/promised?

Just a thought...

Rob

2. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

With everything set to low, it could still run. They didn't say how fast the game would preform.

3. macrumors 68000

yeah, i've played D3 at 800x600 on a 5200 U (granted it had 128mb, not 64 like the Mac one), and it was ok if you turn down every option basically all the way. You can leave "shadows" turned on, but that's about all...If you turn off shadows, you can play it with "medium" quality at that resolution, but man...it isn't worth playing at all without shadows...there's a reason people sorta stopped talking about D3 in the PC world 2 weeks after it was released....It's the perfect example of great graphics not making a great game. It's a shame, too. Cause the graphics are great. Oh well...the mod potential is good, at least...if you have a 6800 GT and an Athlon 64 3600+

:)

4. macrumors 6502a

jadam

HL2 is the real game i want on Macs. Imagine playing HL2 with all the goodies and 5.1 sound on a 20" iMac(assuming they upgrade the video card to a 9600XT) mmmm yummy

5. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

And get a sound card? because as of now, unfortunately it is impossible to run 5.1 on a Mac. The games don't have drivers for it.

kyle

6. macrumors 6502a

From Aspyr's website:

Preliminary System Requirements (these may change before the game's release):

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later

CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later

CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster

Memory: 384 MB or higher

Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space

Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better

Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher

Media Required: DVD Drive

So... Apple's website basically says that the iMac matches the bottom end system requirements that Aspyr currently states is necessary. As to fantastic entertainment...that is subjective enough that you would never be able to pin someone down on that!

7. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Download the Aspyr Game Agent and see what they say about it.

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

As a owner of Doom3 let me tell you that it isnt going to be pretty on a Imac period. Minimum reqs are just that and usually they stretch these so they can sell more titles. Imac owners will have to turn down everything and run at low resolutions something that kills off the main thing this game has going for it which are great graphics. Not to sound mean but its going to really piss off some new iMac owners when this title comes out. Ill never understand why they couldnt have offered a modern video card/chip as a option for the iMac but i guess it would eat into their holy grail known as Powermac. Still playing cant do that because of the powermac game. Its sad :(

9. thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Heh, I have no real intention of buying Doom 3, I just happened to be looking at that page and thought it was kinda funny. :) The original Doom was a great game for it's time, but sadly it didn't mature very well... I agree HL2 too looks excellent, and also sadly looks like it will never make the Mac... I'm hoping the Xbox port is decent. I'm also hoping that Quake4 (which is using the DOOM3 engine) won't suck. ;-)

Rob

10. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

My bet is the next upgrade to the iMac line will be a 6200 Ultra. But perhaps I have too much faith in Apple again. :)

11. thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, i agree that it will stick with NVIDIA for some reason, unless they choose to use a mobile card for heat and energy purposes... so either a 9700 mobility w/ 128mb or something like a 5800ultra w/ 128... or they could do the totally expected and keep the 5200ultra and just go to 128mb :( .

Rob

12. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think they'll put a laptop GPU into a desktop, or something as high end as the 5800...

Your theory about the 5200 Ultra would be a very likely choice, however.

13. macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Forget about it :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502

Your probably going to need at least a dual 2ghz g5 with 2gb+ ram and the fastest graphics card money can buy to play d2 at acceptable frame rates.

I have tried it on a high-0end gaming pc once but honestly the game is nothing more than a technology demonstrator. After playing it only a few hours I was bored enough to not concider buying it.

15. macrumors 68020

doom 3 had its time, meh.. only single player ne way.. the multi is just good ol' deathmatch..

16. thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Eh, the iMac is more laptop that desktop... it's an all in one device where the screen and the system board are in a single package and use a single power supply. The limited space for heat dissapation is why I would guess they MAY use a mobile GPU (which use less power and hence generate less heat). Until they go to the 90nm G5 core they will need to especially heat aware, and even after that they will have to be carefull.

Rob

17. macrumors 6502

The iMac meets more than bottom requirements (with upgraded ram)... For the video card it states FX 5200 or better... There is a very big difference between a FX 5200, and a FX 5200 Ultra.

18. macrumors 6502

You won't be able to play Doom 3 on a G5 imac. Lay it to rest.

19. macrumors 6502

Thats just about as bold as someone stating "It will run great".

20. macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I agree. It will probably play but if you are looking to play on High with everything on you will be hard pressed to find any PC that will play it decently at that level. The iMac is a consumer level machine nd it will play the game acceptably to someone wo doesn't mind low detail and low resolutions

21. macrumors 6502

..and expects a brisk slideshow. We're talking MAC here. Even on a fast PC, the Nvidia 5200 Ultra FX was the only card on which Doom 3 actually played poorly, according to the website. Ok, maybe at 640x480 and lowest detail, the game might run fast enough for the eye to be tricked into seeing onscreen motion, but it will still require mental interpolation.

22. macrumors 6502a

mattmack

lol
    Doom 3 is a cutting edge game that pushes present day hardware to the max. That is all that needs to be said
    :)

23. macrumors 6502a

I think Doom 3 may be out to early for the mac...

Fortunetly for me Doom 3 is coming out for the Xbox and I happen to own an Xbox.

24. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Hmm... its gonna run like crap. x.x No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

On another note, I am running Doom 3 on a 900 MHz Duron with a 9600 128MB card and 768 MB RAM, getting about 35 FPS on low and about 20 on Medium, and about 15 on high. It still is quite playable, even at 15 FPS, theres just slight pauses. So I dunno actually. Though most Mac games do a lot of the processing of graphics in the GPU instead of the CPU, it probably will run like crap.

25. macrumors 6502

What resolution is that?