iMac and IBM laptop? or a Powerbook? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nicorojas, May 6, 2005.

1. nicorojas macrumors member

Jul 18, 2003
    I will be attending Columbia Law School for a LL.M. degree, starting at august. Currently I'm the proud owner of a Al 15 powerbook 1Ghz, which has serve me well since I switched from the dark side on december 2003.

Since I will be going to the States, and the prices of computers are very low compared to my country, I think of selling it and buy a new computer upon arrival. :rolleyes:

The thing is, I need a laptop, so I was thinking in a new 15" powerbook, but then I heard some scary stories about examsoft and Columbia being not a very Mac friendly enviroment.

So I was thinking to get a used thinkpad for taking notes and a new iMac, or buy just one computer, a new powerbook, which I could use in classes, but not for exams. What do you think? Did anybody here go to Columbia Law? :confused:

Pros: I would be able to connect to all university services and to take exams on my own laptop, and still be able to remain as a Mac user.
    Cons: Constanly transfer of files. Not being able to carry all information with all the time. Would have to sell the iMac when I return to my country (kind of fragile for a 10 hours flight, don't you think?)

Any thoughs????
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Examsoft is not only not mac friendly, from what I understand (from my university's law school) is that it doesn't run on a mac.

I would buy the mini and get the ibm if you really do not want to have to use the library's computers or something. The thing is, I don't know if you need examsoft in class. If you do, then you just answered your own question and you need to get the ibm. However, did you check with your school? My school leases Dell laptops for an amazing price and they tuck it into your tuition so your parents are none the wiser---if they would have cared in the first place. If it were me I would probably lease one and then buy the powerbook because if i were living in a dorm I wouldn't want my ******** roommate to have access to it. I could carry it with me all of the time or I could lock it up somewhere. But seriously....I think in college a laptop is just easier because who wants to sit in a dorm all day and do homework? My campus has wifi all over it so I can be anywhere I want and do work.

So maybe check into the school's computer lease program if they have one. If not, get a mini and an ibm or grab an older ibm (or something like an ibm) and pick up an imac if you don't care about portability outside of the realm of school.