Imac and Ibook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by paintmav, Feb 1, 2006.

1. paintmav macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2006
    So I need a little advice. I currently own an Ibook G4 1ghz and a 17" 1.8 iMac G5. My question is whether or not I should get rid of both of those and get a Macbook Pro. Or go ahead and get a new IMac and wait for an intel Ibook. I mostly use them for pro-apps and My current ibook just isn't powerful enough and I need to work on the go. Thanks for all of the help.:confused:
  2. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    replace imac

id sell the imac g5 and replace it with an intel model while the g5 still has good resale value.
  3. matperk macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    If you have a use for both a desktop and a laptop, go with the Intel iBook and Intel iMac, but if you really just need one computer, go with the MacBook Pro because it will be cheaper and the MacBook Pro gives you the power of a desktop, and the portability of a laptop, all in one. Plus, I've always found it easier to have just one computer. Having two drives me nuts--I'm always transferring files.
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I agree with the statement that having one computer is better. To me it is just easier. A word of caution said you mostly use pro apps, and many of those, esp. the ones from apple won't run on Intel just yet. Just an fyi for you.
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    That's my thought on the matter too. Simplicity is better!
  6. paintmav thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2006
    I agree in the end it may be cheaper to get one instead of both and I can also afford to wait because the pro-apps aren't available till march anyway. Thanks for the help.
  7. rimrocka07011 macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    If I were you, I'd try to sell both of them and get a used/refurbished PowerMac G5. That would end the dilemma of going back and forth from one computer to the other and would also give you enough power to handle your pro-apps. Besides, like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the pro-apps will not work with the new Intel chips for a while.
  8. paintmav thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2006
    I've thought about that but the only problem there is that I need some sort of a portable for school and I refuse to use a pc.
  9. rimrocka07011 macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Then you should also consider a used/refurbished PowerBook G4... if you
    1) Don't want to go from computer to computer
    2) Want a portable for school and
    3) Need something with sufficient power to handle pro-applications, then the PowerBook G4 has your name written all over it. I'm sure you could find an older model in pretty good condition on eBay.
  10. maddav macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I'd say you could choose one of four options:

1) High spec MacBook Pro

2) High spec PowerBook G4

3) Low spec PowerBook G4 (used) + High spec intel iMac

4) PowerMac G5?

Looking at what you need, I'd say option 1 or 2, and if you're using it on the go. As for the Pro apps, if you need it now, I say pick one of the final revisions of PowerBook G4, as the "Pro" apps won't have universal binaries right away, and are most likely to suffer the most from the use of Rosetta.
  11. paintmav thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2006
    Whats your opinion on this? How do you think the power of an Intel Ibook will be compared to a 1.5ghz Powerbook.
  12. iHateGates macrumors member

Feb 2, 2006
    Same boat

I have almost the same problem. I have a gateway laptop that I use when traveling for business, and a G3 iMac at home. I'd LOVE to get into some video and audio editing with the new iLife, but not sure about the new Macbook Pro. I have a feeling that it's going to run hot and battery life will suck since those 2 things were not mentioned in the keynote. I've toyed around with picking up a used iBook and a new intel iMac when all the reports are in and kinks are worked out. Portability is needed and my Gateway is really on it's last leg, at only 2 years old.
  13. guffman macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    Battery life should be the same as the G4s, SJ has said it himself. And they shouldn't run hot at all, if you remember Jobs did mention this in the keynote.