iMac and macbook overkill

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Mar 22, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I currently have a iMac C2D. I have 2 options

1) add a MB C2D now
    2) wait for an update led screen/santa rosa.

I use my mac for itunes, iphoto, imovie, surf the web.

update: I got the macbook but now do not use the imac. I generally do not take the macbook to work all pc's. I use it on the couch which I love and used to do with my powerbook. The question is should I return it due to the fact that I am not using my nice imac and $1,200 is alot to surf the web from the couch.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Santa Rosa is not going to make some sort of drastic difference. There is always something better coming. Just get the MB.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

To me, that reads as you not needing or even really wanting a laptop in addition to your iMac. So why get one? Save your money for when Apple releases something you can giddily purchase. :D

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Actually Santa Rosa IS going to make a drastic difference. Especially with respect to graphics. It will be a better platform all round.

In your situation though maybe your best bet would be to sell the iMac and get a MB (or MBP) with an external monitor. You can use the laptop in lid closed mode as a desktop, and then take it with you on your travels when needed.

5. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Adamo macrumors 6502

If $1200 is a lot to you, stick to the iMac and get a cheap Windows XP laptop (I have an NC4400 that I use, it's tiny, 4 - 5 hours battery life, really light and is only used to surf the net from the couch).