iMac and small DVD disks

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thechris69, Jan 16, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

thechris69

Hello, I have a large video to edit for class, and we filmed it using my friends sony video camera, he used small dvd-r from maxell, they seem like the most practical way to hold footage from a movie because of there size, but when he gave me the disks to edit he didnt give me the camera because his dad needs it, so when i got home I tried putting the little dvd disks into the side loading dvd drive on my imac and the disk i think is to small for the drive to realize its there to suck it in... so is there any way I can get my footage from my mini-disks into my imac without using the camera?

please answer as quick as possible this is quite urgent:D

2. macrumors G4

Chundles

You can't put non-standard discs in a slot-loading drive. They'll get stuck. To read the information on an 8cm disc you'll need an external tray-loading DVD drive. They're pretty cheap.

You're also going to run into trouble editing the footage because the format used in DVD cameras (MPEG-2) is not designed for editing without special software. This is why most video people use digital tape cameras - dv and hdv is easily edited by nearly every video program including iMovie.

DVD cameras are basically designed for shoot-and-play situations, not shoot-edit-master-encode-burn to multiple format situations. If you want the best quality and edit-ability use DV cameras, not DVD cameras.

3. macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you'll need to get a program called MPEGstreamclip in order to convert the MPEG2 files from that disc into a format that you can edit (.DV)

4. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Oh...yeah.

Sorry no one told you this already...but if you put that mini dvd into your drive, it's hosed.

Damn Sony and their attempts at proprietary formats.

5. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

There's nothing proprietary about 8cm optical discs nor MPEG2. Many manufacturers use them besides Sony.

Lethal

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

okay, apparently earlier I didnt FINALIZE the disk, ive done it and now im at home in front of my imac with the camera hooked up to my imac and the disks ready to be edited... so now apparently imovie does not accept dvd format... so what is the most simple way to open all my footage from the disk onto imovie to begin editing?

7. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Do what bigbossbmb said in post #3.

Lethal