Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
exactly, its just an opinion.

it is something i am debating now because if i could live with the chin i could save a couple thousand dollars on my purchase. Its not like I am made of money either, that 2K could easily be used elsewhere, yet I find myself seriously questioning if I can live with the asthetics (and limitations) of an iMac (i see AIO justified in a laptop as the price for portability. I prefer the idea of the "box" hidden away. Unfortunately, to me, the box is even more in my face with the iMac than a big tin can I can possibly hide under/behind something). My philosophy is i don't want to see or hear the computer. I would rather all the workings be in a "server room" with just the tablet/keyboard/monitor/mouse/speakers in the room or noticable by any sense to me.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Lynxpoint said:
it is that large amount of white plastic beneath the screen (where the logo is) that just (for me) makes the box look incorrect. I don't really know how to describe it but I feel the shape of the box should have the same shape (aspect ratio) as the screen, or at least closer than the square-ish iMac shape.

This is an issue for me because I am deciding now what mac to get and am forced to consider the following:
24" iMac, live with limitations and the ugly white plastic box
23" or 30" ACD connected to 17"MBP, but given the heat issues I am afraid to run the MBP closed constantly. (plus I have portability when I want it)
23" or 30" ACD connected to MP, but this introduces another big box which I am sick of big box computers, as well as the MP is more powerful than I need for my photoshop work (but it will last longer).

You need room for the computer. You can make it wider to accomplish what you want, or keep it slim with its' current form. I think the design is very elegant, as do most others.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
I think the design is very elegant, as do most others.

everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion on the design.

the number of people that like it is not a measure of the true quality of the design, though. It is a measure of how well the expectations of the people have been manipulated to desire the design. These things are not the same. It is in the latter that Apple has mastery.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
thechris69 said:
im looking at it right now, its not bad at all:confused: w/e I guess its just opinion

I like the 'chin'.
Makes the imac look like an iPod.
replace the apple logo with a click wheel and voila!

I can't beleive people actually bitch about it.
If the area around the screen was all the same width - it would look like just another monitor.
The added bulk tells you its a computer as well.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Cloudgazer said:
I like the 'chin'.

Like the idea! My iMac is actually called Chinny! Apparently the new Intel chips can accomodate a secondary screen without booting up as such which could fit one side of the logo and a touch sensitive wheel the other side!

The iMac itself was one of the prime reasons for switching - just this most complete and holistic personal computing experience. That's still what I see when I look at it! Go byond the chin!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Gosh said:
Cloudgazer said:
I like the 'chin'.

Like the idea! My iMac is actually called Chinny! Apparently the new Intel chips can accomodate a secondary screen without booting up as such which could fit one side of the logo and a touch sensitive wheel the other side!

The iMac itself was one of the prime reasons for switching - just this most complete and holistic personal computing experience. That's still what I see when I look at it! Go byond the chin!

Regarding the chin. Its not exactly ugly but it just doesnt sit well with me. Hopefully the new iMacs will be an ACD with all the gubbins inside. :)

vrocko

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
exactly

Cloudgazer said:
I like the 'chin'.

I can't beleive people actually bitch about it.
If the area around the screen was all the same width - it would look like just another monitor.
The added bulk tells you its a computer as well.

I agree 100% its very characteristic

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Switching to APPLE

I have been in the market for quite some time.

My choice MBP 17"
2.33GHz Merom
800MHz FSB
100GB HDD 7200 RPM
Glossy screen

Since the intro of the MBP and MB I have read about Moos Whines, general quality issues, etc. etc. Quite honestly I have been turned off by all this. In any event i will have to be patient until 1st Q. 2007. We'll see if and how APPLE will solve all issues.

bucho

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
Canada
Lynxpoint said:
everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion on the design.

Absolutely.

It is a measure of how well the expectations of the people have been manipulated to desire the design.

Are you suggesting that people wouldn't actually like the iMac were it not for some brilliant marketing by Apple? Sorry if I misunderstand, I'm a little out of it today, but if this is the case, it sounds like you're saying "My opinion is the right one."

In any case, I would suggest that most people who like the iMac do so because when you compare it to other options, it has the best price/performance*aesthetic ratio, not because of some marketing juggernaut.

Now if you ask me why I drink Coke...

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
DeVizardofOZ said:
I have been in the market for quite some time.

My choice MBP 17"
2.33GHz Merom
800MHz FSB
100GB HDD 7200 RPM
Glossy screen

Since the intro of the MBP and MB I have read about Moos Whines, general quality issues, etc. etc. Quite honestly I have been turned off by all this. In any event i will have to be patient until 1st Q. 2007. We'll see if and how APPLE will solve all issues.

Don't be turned off by all the whining you read about.
Happy people don't post complaints.

There are far more satisfied people than unhappy customers.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
bucho said:
Absolutely.

Are you suggesting that people wouldn't actually like the iMac were it not for some brilliant marketing by Apple? Sorry if I misunderstand, I'm a little out of it today, but if this is the case, it sounds like you're saying "My opinion is the right one."

In any case, I would suggest that most people who like the iMac do so because when you compare it to other options, it has the best price/performance*aesthetic ratio, not because of some marketing juggernaut.

Now if you ask me why I drink Coke...

no, i am not saying "i am right", other than "i am as right wrt me, as you are right wrt you" (the # of end users that like the product is not a true measure of its design asthetics, but of the ability to convince buyers the asthetics are desirable). As for the marketing issue, I am not saying it is not a good price/performance computer. It definitely has its own merits (which is why I have been considering one as an option). The way I see it, Apple designed the imac with the intent of playing off of the ipod popularity rather than going for the best design (something they could do since there was no real competition in the AIO marketplace).

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Cloudgazer said:
Don't be turned off by all the whining you read about.
Happy people don't post complaints.

There are far more satisfied people than unhappy customers.

Yes, you are absolutely right. However, when more than 20% have problems, and that is not taking those into account, who actually do not realize having a problem, because of lack of expertise, I anticipate APPLE to get their act together.

After all, we pay good money for their stuff.

Best

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I have terrible regret.

Before I switched to mac, I didn't know what an OS should be like. Thus, windows was perfectly fine for me. I could work on a $500 Dell, and there would be little sign that there was something better out there.

Now I can't switch back. Windows doesn't cut it anymore. I burn thousands of dollars buying pieces of mechanical art. In fact, there's a newly burned $2300 hole in my wallet, as I go towards a new iMac today, upgrading from a PB. And you won't believe how much of my life MR has taken away from me. I want my youth back.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
my first mac was Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz 15"
Since then, I've been enjoying the world of Apple.

However, I'm also a windows user.
Things that i need to do still requires Windows. And I'm never going to abandon windows unless all the things I do for fun is doable on Mac OS.

It's up to you.
If you want to experience Mac life, I recommend you to get a Mac.
And unlike the ppc platform, you can now install the windows on your intel mac.

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Well, I am trying to be a switcher, but somebody (maybe gods) seems to be interested in preventing me doing so :(

I thought of this rig:

1. Macbook Pro with Merom... well, don't need to tell you about it :D
2. 23" Apple cinema display... huh... Apple Store Spain is selling old ones as if they were new ones.. no way, man! (have a look at http://www.cinemafraud.com)

So, I am still trying to survive in this ugly, dark and deep Windows world... yeah, patience, I know.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
from windows power user, to mac user...

Last year around september I had a PC crash that made me reconsider the platform I was using for work and entertainment. I lost 720gb of HD information, due to a corruption caused by one of many security issues Windows XP had within.

When I declared all my salvaging issues a dead end, I took my tower, ripped the HDD off, took the memory out and threw my antec chasis with everything inside to the trash. I drove on my car to CompUSA and I bought myself a MacMini (this was when they were PPC G4), and decided to see if OSX was going to blow me away.

Boy did it blew me away.

2 Months later I upgraded my mac mini, and bought a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 with 2gb of ram. I have not looked back since. I do all of my engineering work, contracts, internet stuff, programming, design and implementations from my PPC. I love OSX. I always said unix was good in a server and everything else was on windows... well I love the unix strengh in OSX and the beauty of the OS covers the rest.

The only thing I think apple should work more is in having more game developers on their side, although developer studios like Blizzard develope their games for Windows and Mac from scratch. world of warcraft, the best MMO out there runs on Windows and mac from day one. I think other developers should follow suit.

Last but not least, although I am eyeing an imac 24" I am in no hurry to upgrade. Leopard will make my PPC Run like brand new since PPC are 64-bit CPU's and Leopard is 64bit native.

Cant wait till spring is here just for that.

I wanted to give my 02 cents on this. Computers are something personal. Its not about the hardware, in the end is about what you want. But whenever i see an awesome chasis, or see something amazing on a video card, I remember that in the end its going to be running Windows. and that is where it sucks. I wish apple were more open and more available to the different budgets of people, but I love their design, their thought of human interfacing and how awesome OSX really is.

Windows is outdated compared to anything OSX Offers. and Vista is worst.

FullCollapse

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Oneonta, NY
i recently bought a 20" imac about a week after christmas. this is coming from a (now) three year old HP laptop. i'm a college kid and most college kids do have laptops, but based on my experience with my laptop, i decided i cannot see myself ever buying another laptop.

i'm completely happy with my purchase. for me, there is no computer that suits me better right now. only thing i can think of off the top of my head is i would advise against going for a refurb... many will say otherwise, but personally i had a bad experience. apple was, however, more than willing to correct the problem in a timely fashion. good luck!

acidburn

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2006
I started switching a couple of years ago.
First, I bought an ibook and kept my desktop PC for work. I wanted to check out OSX and get into programming on a mac. I really liked the idea of Xcode. I also was programming on Windows in .NET for work and found many things about Windows to be klunky and frustrating. I slowly moved everything over to the mac and only keep the (now) aging PC desktop for work.
The only things that are at times a pain are MSN Messenger (video chats and webcam) and finding software. I have to clarify the software comment though - at first it was challenging but I have found that shareware and freeware for OSX are typically really good.

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I still can't make the decision!!!
Should I buy the 24 inch iMac or should I just buy a PC:confused:

I could buy a 24" with upgraded graphic card + 2GB ram + EyeTV
Price: 2200 euro

or

I could buy a very powerful Core 2 Duo pc + 19" TFT
Price: 1800 euro

But If I would buy the iMac than I would also use it as an TV.

I'm worried that I would get bored with the OS X look after a while (not that I find it ugly). I also have this with my current windows but there I can use software called WindowBlinds to chance the look with themes.

But now the big question !!!
Any switchers here that now have regret that they bought an iMac ???

I've gone from Windows, to Linux (for a good 6 years) to OSX now and I must say it is a fantastic OS. I can do all my unix like stuff on it (i.e. sit in a terminal all day) as well as use the better availability of applications that you can't get on Linux like photoshop, dreamweaver, etc (Gimp was ok, but it's no photoshop!).

I don't think I have any regrets :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.