iMac article on Businessweek.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bilba, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Bilba macrumors member

Feb 2, 2004
    I am not sure if this been covered, but there is an interesting article this week on Businessweek about the iMac.

Basically, the author belives the current iMac is a no go. i.e. currently it dosen't worth the price.

Anyway, to save some words here it is:

iMac article

Again, I hope that I am not reposting.
  2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Re: iMac article on Businessweek.

Saw that a few days ago. He's right about the speed, but not about the design. If you make a headless iMac, I'm sure it would sell. But then what do you have, a small mound plus a free standing monitor on the desk. One big advantage of the current design is that it holds the monitor above the cpu, saving a lot of desk space.

Now, if they could design an arm that was detachable and plugged into a monitor socket on the top, then they would do well to sell it. But really, that's just a production/inventory question, because it would be 1) choose your CPU; 2) choose your monitor, which is essentially how the linup is now, with some restrictions.
  3. Bilba thread starter macrumors member

Feb 2, 2004
    I think it would have been nice if the next iMac module had a detachable monitor that can be attached to a "regular" monitor base, i.e. not a computer base.
    That way, consumers would be able to start with the iMac, fall in love with it, and in the future have the option to upgrade to a Powermac without the need to repurchase a monitor.

Just an idea...
  4. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    i waiting for jobs to aw me with some new innovation on the display line.... personall i think the i Mac display is an stunning idea from a college student perspective... I don't have one but I know people that do.... and they love it. I think the G5 iMac is comming soon and we should need to worry about the slow speed soon... adding the ability to display other cpu units would be great for the imac, but i can see why steve wouldn't want to do this to ... anyways, im fine with imac as it is now, I think a G5 is really needed and soon....