iMac As a Games Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raptchaUK, Nov 13, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2013

I am planning to purchase a new iMac in the coming weeks and was all set to go for the top spec 27" version with all the upgrades but looking at the screen size in the apple store I felt it was a little too big. I think 21.5" would be enough as im used to working on my 13" Macbook Pro.

My question is if I went for the fully upgraded iMac 21.5 (with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory), would it run the latest games well? for example X-Rebirth & Xcom enemy unknown.

I plan to play these from Windows 7 bootcamp as my machine will be dual use (OSX for work/study and Windows for gaming).
  2. macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

These are the benchmarks and game performance for the GT750M.

Note that in the iMac, it will be significantly faster because the GT750M in the iMac is the GDDR5 variant. The results here are for the normal variant.
  3. macrumors member

Feb 4, 2013
    It should run those games beautifully. XCOM isn't even that graphis intensive. I have a maxed out 2012 27" iMac and I'm running Battlefield 4 on high settings at 60 fps at native resolution.
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2012
    The 27" screen is worth its money if you want to game. The 780M can handle almost every game in 1440p without FSAA and they'll look gorgeous. You won't ever want a smaller one afterwards.

In Starcraft 2 you can make out every small detail of your troops zoomed out with this size and resolution just as an example. I had a hard time playing this game ever again on my rMBP.