iMac as wireless secondary monitor for free?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Silofolous, Oct 27, 2010.

1. macrumors member

So, I'm not really expecting this to actually work, but is anyone aware of any way I can use my 20" Mid-2007 iMac as a secondary monitor for my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro without any wires and for free?

I add for free because I heard something about a program called ScreenRecycler or something like that, which costs money and thus I am not interested.

2. macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely not possible for free, not even sure if it is possible at all.

3. macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Wow, that's a lot to ask for. I highly doubt it. Wireless external moniter technology is still fairly new?

4. macrumors 604

Even if you find something, trying to refresh a screen over wireless is going to be very very very slow.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Why? When I use my screen sharing on my MacBook Pro to control my iMac, I do it wirelessly and it is about as fast as doing it on the iMac itself.

6. macrumors 68040

plinden

ScreenRecycler is only $30. I haven't tried it, but it's by the same guy who wrote JollysFastVNC. There's a free trial.

7. macrumors newbie

ScreenRecycler

Do any of you guys know if this program will work on Mountain Lion?
    I would like to use my Macbook Pro as an external monitor for my Imac.
    Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thx

8. JT3Jon, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

macrumors member

Yeah it works, you just have to download the beta version which does work in demo mode: http://www.screenrecycler.com/download.html

I'm actually wondering if Air Display works as well, as its $10 cheaper and works both through wi-fi and ethernet, and works from mac to mac and/or mac to ios devices. http://avatron.com/apps/air-display But Screenrecycler, thanks to its demo, proved to me the concept works GREAT as mac to mac via ethernet! Might just pay the extra $10 as a thank you for having a demo!

btw, if you do go Screenrecycler, you do NOT need to also buy JollyFastVNC as mac OSX screen sharing works fine with ScreenRecycler.