iMac as xbox 360 monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RubberShoes, Aug 24, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

After looking around on the forums I've yet to find a clear answer to my question. Is there a HDTV tuner that will allow me to display a 1080i signal from my xbox 360 (through component or VGA) right onto the iMac display? I know Eglato makes the EyeTV but that's only a 480i composite plug.

I'm wondering if there are any other tuners that will allow me to do this, having an actual TV Tuner is not a big deal to me, just a simple component/VGA input to USB converter...

Any Ideas?

PS: I don't think it needs to be compatible with OS X either, I will be dual-booting Vista as well so I can use Windows too

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm afraid that any converter will have too much lag for effective game play. A quality converter will also cost you more than a 19" LCD screen. Component/VGA to USB is not simple (internally), esp. not at 1080i.

3. macrumors 65816

barr08

Would a VGA box work? I don't know anything about them, I just know my roomie ahs one on his PC. If you are going to be using Bootcamp, it might be worth looking into.

4. macrumors 6502

hmmmmm... you can't use a "vga" anything to use as the input for video and expect to get any kind of 1080i signal.

The only inputs that support HD would be HDMI, DVI (DVI IN) USB or Firewire I guess could but you would have to get some sort of HDMI to USB cable. (Or DVI to firewire, etc)

Or am I wrong?

5. macrumors 6502

Sorry you are wrong about vga not doing 1080i.. i used to have my xbox hooked up to my dell monitor with the microsoft vga converter and that was the only way to get 1080P out of the xbox at that time. Now they patched the xbox where you can get 1080p through component also.

But to hook up to your imac? i'm not sure but sounds like more work then worth. Sorry I couldnt help more

Zack

6. macrumors 65816

iTeen

try the eyetv line of tuners...i use my macbook with my 360 all the time.
    good luck

7. macrumors regular

Hey. I was just wondering, I have a Hybrid and a Macbook which I currently use with my PS2. What does the Xbox 360 look like and play like using the Hybrid? Is there any latency or lag?

If it wouldn't be to much hassle, could you post a couple of screen shots of native size for the window and full screen at 1280x800? Thanks! :)

8. macrumors 65816

iTeen

there is not horrible lag...but a little...not good for online play. i will post a few shots in a couple of days when i am back home:eek:

9. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The ElGato hybrid has a "Game Mode" that is supposedly lag free. So any video input (composite or s-video) will work fine for games.

The only problem is that neither of these inputs are HD. They only support 480p, so thats the best resolution you can use. There are currently no HD input boxes for OS X (or Windows) that I know of.

10. macrumors member

11. macrumors newbie

Have to warm up this, the eyetv EZ seems unavailable anymore. Is there an alternative to use the Imac with the XBOX 360?

12. macrumors 65816

13. macrumors member

14. macrumors 6502

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/06/kanex-xd-review-your-27-imac-now-plays-nice-with-your-ps3.ars

As others have said the iMac mDP input it limited to 720p, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for the Xbox 360 as very few games run at 1080p native. Microsoft is a little "fraud-y" because most of the games that have the "1080p" badge on their case are actually running 1080p upscaled from 720p or less. For example, with Halo 3 they had the gall to write "1080p" on the back when the game was actually running at 640p native.

15. macrumors regular

...are the lag and the avoid online play warnings from a few years ago still valid with these upgraded, expensive converters?

16. macrumors member

$185 here. I've done my research and this is the only way to get 1080p and this is the cheapest price I have found.

17. macrumors newbie

18. macrumors newbie

IMAC 24 monitor

Guys, let me bring this issue on using IMAC 24" as an external monitor.

I do understand IMAC 24" (differently from the IMAC 27") doesn't have input port, therefore one would assume it cannot be used as external monitor. However, I have a MAC digital TV tuner which uses the USB port of my IMAC 24", so I can watch crystal clear realtime TV.

Why wouldn't I be able to display video from an equipment with VGA or DVI-A output on my IMAC 24" as long as I have VGA-USB or VGA-DVI-A converter?

I guess I would need also a driver so the IMAC would recognize the equipment.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

19. macrumors member

20. macrumors newbie

21. macrumors 6502a

all that works only with pre-thunderbolt imacs:(

22. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

is there anything that works with the 27" Thunderbolt Display?

23. macrumors 6502a

AFAIK nope... or, there are some recording stuffs that may be used for just transmitting video signal from xbox to imac, but it is costly and I am not sure whether it works 100 %... only hope is next xbox with thunderbolt output.. how much possible is that, onl y ballmer knows (but I wouldnt put my money on it)

24. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Thanks for the post. Not that big of a deal to me, but it would be cool to be able to do.

25. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You best bet would be BMD Intensity though the issue is going to be lag IMHO... I've tried it before with a PS3 and XBOX360, it's "playable" but can get a little laggy from frame drops for long use.

I'd recommend running at 720p as well.