iMac (bondi blue) memory question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by simX, Aug 22, 2003.

1. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

So I recently brought my original iMac home from school where my dad had temporarily had it working. It took him a bit to get used to the presence of his upgraded cousin, but he's taking it well. ;)

Anyway, I was considering trying to install Mac OS X on it just for kicks (I want to see what the performance of Mac OS X is on just about the earliest possible Mac you can install it on), and I was wondering what the maximum memory that it can hold is. I know that Apple states that the maximum is 256 MB (one 128 MB SO-DIMM in the upper slot, one 128 MB SO-DIMM in the lower slot), but I was wondering if that's actually the case. I know there are at least 512 MB SO-DIMMs (since my 17" G4 iMac uses those for the user-accessible slot), and I was curious as to whether the original iMac will actually recognize all 512 MB.

Does anyone have any experience? I would be very interested in knowing, since it currently only has 64 MB of RAM, which is not enough to even install Mac OS X (we accidentally tried it on a 333 MHz iMac at my dad's school, and Mac OS X just refused to install -- the CD just kept spinning around in the drive; once we installed 256 more MB of RAM, it installed it without a fuss).

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I know the celling is higher, I added 256 to make my total Ram 320.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it *wouldn't* accept the Ram. (Was that a double negative...?)

There is no reason for it not to take the Ram.

All the other G3's have no problem.

Its not gonna hurt the machine either way.

3. simX thread starter macrumors 6502a

simX

Right, I know, but I've heard of stories where people buy high density RAM (like 512 MB modules), and then the computer goes and only recognizes half of it.

So I just wanted to make sure that that's a myth, or to find out what the maximum size module the original iMac can handle.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

All I know is that they be lieing about the 256 Max because I put a 256 in and it worked,=.

I'll fade away and see if anyone put a even higher amount of ram inside.