iMac: Buy Now or After MacWorld

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solafekxela, Nov 27, 2006.

1. solafekxela macrumors newbie

I will be buying an iMac, most likely the 20 inch, but am not sure if I should wait for any developments in early 2007. I know they just upgraded to Core 2 Duo, but I also know leopard is on its way. Any thoughts?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you need it today? Yes/No

Else wait until MacWorld 2007.

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

If you do need it I suggest buy now. If you can use another computer comfortably and don't mind waiting then wait.

4. whawhat macrumors 6502

if u need it, buy it.

i think apple will release a brand new design in spring '07 though. it's due.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as everyone else says and will say.

if you need a computer, then buy. there is nothing wrong with the current offerings.

if you don't need one and can wait without a problem, MWSF isn't that far away... wait.

but always remember that there will always, always be something better on the horizion. such is the way of technology.

6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

What they said...

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Like what has been said, if you need one right now, then go ahead and buy one right now. Otherwise, I'd hold out until after Leopard is released before buying one, that's what my plan is.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I see Black iMacs, at least in the 24" maybe even a Red in '07. But I highly doubt there will be a new style/form factor this coming year. It's not like when the 20" G4 iMac came out and you knew it wouldn't last long.

9. solafekxela thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks everyone. I don't need the computer ASAP, but don't wait to wait past the first week or two in January. What are the odds that an update comes then?

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

honestly get it now and enjoy it through the holidays. I doubt there will be a MacWorld update. I think they will focus on other things like the possible iPhone, iTV, new iPods, etc. and maybe even the miniMacPro (though unlikely, maybe WWDC '07 if at all) and that any little iMac revisions, like color options or price drops will just show up late January or in February or at the same time as Leopard.

11. rock6079 macrumors 6502

if u want it, get it. theres no point in waiting ur ull wait a year. i doubt they will update at macworld. the only thing u MAY be waiting for is leopard near the end of the month, but who even knows about that forsure

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Alright, can you wait seven weeks or more for a computer or not? The ONLY person who can answer that question for you is you. (And maybe Steve Jobs)

13. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

iMac update?

Honestly, where else is there to go with the iMac other than colors, or a price drop? They've already fit the whole computer into a flat panel display, there's nothing left to get rid of! Essentially all future iMacs are probably going to be the same design except that they may get thinner, or bigger and of course faster and such.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's nothing in the pipeline as far as technological upgrades come until around April next year when the Santa Rosa chipset comes out and takes full advantage of the Merom processor.

Leopard won't be out till around that time too.

I'd wait till after MWSF so you'd get iLife '07 for free, if you buy now you'd need (well, not "need", nobody's forcing you) to pay for iLife '07 in January and 10.5 in March/April.

If you wait till after MWSF you'd only need to get Leopard. If you wait a bit longer for when Leopard is released you could pick up a brand new iMac with both iLife '07 and Leopard but that's a fair way off yet - question is, how long are you able to wait?

15. JW008 macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar predicament...my 17" iMac G4 just died on me (man, it was sad...I've had that sucker since the DAY they were released), and while I have a 12" PowerBook, it's tough to do word processing and statistics work on it. I'm looking at the 20" iMac. I'm going to buy it fairly soon, but I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on how I should modify it? Would you suggest going with 2 GB or RAM or is the difference negligible from the 1 GB included? Remember I'm coming from a 256 MB iMac G4. This is my first Intel Mac, does everything run smoothly on it? The main things I'm going to have to run on it are Microsoft Office v.X, STATA, and SPSS (the latter two being statistical packages). Will I notice improvements in those areas even though they're made for the Power PC? Also, BootCamp---can I install any version of Windows on it? Thanks in advance!

16. JW008 macrumors 6502

Another thing...how are the speakers on the iMacs? I'm coming from the speakers that came with the G4 iMacs (can't remember what they're called, but they're spherical), which have been more than satisfactory. Can I use those on my iMac, are the speakers sufficient on the Intel iMacs, or do I need to purchase some? I'm not that high end of an audio person, but I do use GarageBand quite a bit and my G4 iMac was my main stereo. I'm not looking for something too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

17. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

#1 - Get as much RAM as you can afford. There is a big difference between 1GB and 2GB

#2 - You will probably see improvements (more so with extra RAM) even through Rosetta.

#3 - Only XP SP2 can be installed on Bootcamp...

18. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Get a set of these. They work GREAT!

BTW - I think they were called Apple Pro Speakers and no, you can't use them unless you get a firewire converter.

19. JW008 macrumors 6502

Thanks mr_matalino, I just ordered my new iMac and those speakers. I'm holding you personally responsible for how they sound.

20. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

You'll enjoy them. I recommend them to everyone! Granted they are not Bose 901's but for the money they can't be beat! :)

21. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I, personally, am waiting until after MWSF for my iMac purchase.

22. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I got the same question...

But I´m probably getting a 24" iMac.
    I´m going to wait till after Macworld 2007 because it´s so close already but I don´t know if I should wait till March/April for Leopard.
    I think that there will also be an update for the iMac by that time but would it really be worth it to wait that long?
    It would really suck if I buy an iMac in January and that Apple announces a updated iMac 2-3 months later.

What could be in an updated iMac by that time?
    I´m hoping for HDMI so that I can connect my xbox 360 to it and use it in HD-quality.

Please help me decide!!!

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With Leopard coming people might as well wait way I see it. Also I expect a face lift or rather Chin lift this next year for iMac. Never a good idea to buy a Mac before the next show unless like Eidorian says you got have a machine now.

24. 2Shae macrumors 6502

So I should wait till Leopard?
    Actually I was already thinking about that.

25. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Leopard could show up early to stick it to msft, and imac could be updated in conjunction with itv system. Personally, I expect to see new imac form by June, now that emac is the original imac form (sound familiar). But just an opinion.