iMac buying advice...need some help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taiji80, Feb 9, 2007.

1. taiji80 macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    Toronto, ON. Canada
    I'm a student in advertising, (graduating in June) and currently using a MacBook Pro. At home, I'm attaching my MBP to a CRT monitor. So I'm currently looking into purchasing a desktop unit. However, I was wondering, in the long run which desktop would best fit my needs.

I mainly do print, flat 2d stuff, and a little bit of web. No 3d or video/audio editing. So I really wanted a mac pro, but was thinking if I would ever use
    the full power capabilities of the machine considering what I do for a living. Also, the fact that you could open the machine and upgrade certain parts when needed is appealing.

Then there is the iMac, alot more affordable and a space saver, but the fact that there is no way to upgrade the machine bothers me a bit.

So what I'm really asking do you guys/girls think that it would be worth it for me to purchase a Mac Pro, or save the money and purchase an iMac?
    And are the iMac's going to be redesigned soon? should I wait for that?

2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    One thing I've observed with the iMac/Mac Pro lineup is that a higher end iMac can cost as much as a lower end Mac Pro. Either of these would be good for the kind of work you're doing, but as you've pointed out the Mac Pro can take more upgrades over time. Of course, the downside to the Mac Pro is that you'll need a good LCD/CRT to go with it...
  3. taiji80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    Toronto, ON. Canada
    thanks for the reply,
    I do have a good crt, but I was thinking that its time to upgrade to a LCD.
    I am considering a 20" iMac, to save space and of course the price. However,
    when it comes to longevity, the Mac Pro might save me money in the end.

Does anyone have information on when the new iMac's and Mac Pros will come out?

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Since it is for professional use I highly recommend the Mac Pro.

It will serve you very well in the long term.