iMac Buying Advice - Timing???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ~Shard~, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I am planning on buying a new 1.25 GHz 17” iMac and had 2 questions.

Firstly, (the simple one!), I would like to have a subwoofer with my new iMac. How do I hook it up with the Pro Speakers, etc.? Is this tricky, or is there something I need to know? Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve never dealt with audio and Macs before, as I am a switcher... ;)

Secondly, and most importantly, I guess there are rumors now that the iMacs are getting completely redesigned, are getting G5s, will be announced at MWSF, are going to have huge updates, yadda yadda, so I wouldn’t mind some impressions on whether or not people think this will actually be the case. If they will actually be released in January, I might hold off buying for 2 months, but if this is going to be like the PowerMac G5s, where they don’t ship until 6 months later, then I’ll just pick up this G4 iMac now. ;)

Honestly though, shouldn’t the xServes and LCDs be updated before anything else? If anything is getting a G5 it should be the xServes. And wouldn’t Apple have a G5 PowerBook ready to go before they slap a G5 in the iMacs? I could see a lot of angry PB users if a consumer model received a G5 before a Pro model. And plus the G5s just came out after all...

Anyway, some help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Scott

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

well go and buy one...
    if you wait because of the rumor, you may wait forever, because the supplier of the rumor is not a dependable one this time..

on the other hand... I would LOVE to have a new design cubeG5 no matter what its name is.. imac or icube or cubeG5.. if it is going to be replaced with iMac, then it means that it will not have the built-in 17" screen..

make your choice.. but if you really need it now, go and buy...

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i agree with toughboy. i wouldn't make the purchasing decisions based on rumors...

i personally doubt G5 iMac in Jan., but maybe there'll be a new form factor introduced. (but of course, why would a new form factor be introduced without a significant upgrade inside, right? so i sort of contradicted myself there...) once it's introduced, like you said, it could take some time for the supply to catch up with demand - if it's a good product - OR supply will be fine because there's not much demand - if it's not a good product. so either way, you may have some doubts about it. in addition, if it's a brand new form factor, it'll be Rev. A. and some people don't like those and prefer to wait for Rev. B... even more waiting...

i'd say go get them, start enjoying them and don't look back...

4. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I've been thinking too, I just wanted some feedback and reassurance. :) If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting, and I would rather get my machine now and start enjoying it right away.

I don't need a new, top of the line system anyways (hence why I'm not getting a G5), but for me it's just more of getting the most bang for my buck. I'm sure this G4 will last me for 3-4 years though, for everything I'll be needing it for (i.e. no video editing, etc.)

So thanks, but what about the first question (the easy one)? ;) Just wondering how a sub fits in with the Pro Speakers. Also, are the Pro Speakers that come with the iMac acceptable and good quality, or should I look into something else?

Thanks again,
    Scott

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

there will be a g5 imac its only a matter of when, i say by march with perhaps a announcement in jan,anyways if you are looking for 3-4 yrs on a non upgradeable imac then you better make sure you wait for a G5 because there is stuff that will make that 1.25 cry mercy right now let alone a few years down the road. just my 2 cents

6. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I understand there might be a G5 iMac in March or so, but then I effectively have to wait another 5 months before I get my new system, and as I said before, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, well, you'll always be waiting!

Plus, I could be completely wrong, but isn't a G5 iMac a bit premature right now? Shouldn't they be closer to a G5 PowerBook first? I think the Pro users would be a bit upset if a consumer line received this new power chip before the rest of the Power user line...

I am curious though - what makes the 1.25 GHz G4 cry mercy right now? I will primarily be using my new iMac for Mail, Safari, iLife, Logic Audio Pro 6, maybe a bit of Photoshop, Office - basically standard stuff (no FCP, etc.) Is there something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for the assistance,
    Scott

P.S. An answer to my speaker question would be great too! ;)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i think apple will release a g5 imac and a cube or all new line up. if you are ready to buy and have the money or credit then buy! a 1.25 on a 167 bus wont be bad at all , fx5200 well :rolleyes: i love the floating wide screen and its a nice design but.... there are faster 970's coming and 980's?? the G4 has been stuck in first gear since day one and the g5 has really doubled the speed at its conception. Apple has some big plans this next year but then again they allways do. ask yourself what you want the computer to do but if you want 3-4 yrs i dont see it out of the g4. anyways the isub plugs right into the usb port and the pro speakers have their own lil jack and sound great together. for me sitting in front of the computer its all i need and sometimes rock the adjacent room with them, but if you want to rock the house you may need more. if you really want 3-5 yrs i would say get a g5 tower or wait for the next great thing.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

This is how I handled it (not saying you should do the same, just throwing my two cents out there). A few months ago I knew I wanted to go on ahead and make the switch to the Mac, but I also didn't want to plunk down a lot of cash on a G4 based system either with superior G5s coming down the pike in the coming months. So I picked up a combo drive eMac instead of the 17" iMac I was really wanting. It was $800 less ($1,000 less now) and I figured when the day comes that the iMac goes to the G5, I'd take the $800 I saved plus the $600 or so I could sell the eMac for in the future and use it toward a G5 iMac. I must also say that the eMac has been a great system and has been much more than just the "stop gap" I initially purchased it to be. Now, I really find myself in no hurry to get rid of it. But best of luck to you, you should be happy no matter which Mac you end up with and you'll probably wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago like I did after getting one. :)

P.S.: As for the sub, I too would suggest you might check out the iSub from Harman-Kardon.

9. Italchef macrumors 6502

Shard, I'm in the same boat as you. My problem is that I won't be ready to buy until the new year and that might bring the G5, if its coming, alot closer...what to do...
    I would like my machine to last for 3-4 yrs and I want to do video editing on it as well. Do I wait? I love the iMac design and can't wait to really get busy with it.
    I agree with the person that said to buy now and don't look back. I'm sure that when its all said and done that you'll have no regrets whatsoever. Let us know what you do and how it goes, and how much you love it as I'm right on your heels...